Namkeen Matri is my favourite tea time snacks and so is my family’s. Simply dip it in tea and enjoy. Simply explore it by making it in different shapes like circle, karela , Flower etc.
Did you try my other favourite tea time snacks Instant Rice Butter Chakli or Namkeen Sev
One can make the sweeter version too, but I simply prefer the namkeen.
Now this can be made in different variations with respect to the dough. Either completely with All purpose flour or a mixture of All purpose flour and whole wheat flour or Simple Whole wheat flour. It is upto your taste and liking. I actually simply put all the ingredients including the flour approximately do not weigh it or take cup measurements.
3 Cups of All purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Cup Ghee (soften at room temperature)
1 tablespoon of Ajwain seeds (Carom seeds) lightly crush it using your hands.
salt to taste
Water for kneading
Oil for frying.
- Mix all the ingredients and make a stiff dough similar to puri consistency. Let it rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadai. While the oil is heating start making Matris atleast enough quantity for 1-2 frying rounds.
- For round matris: (Click here for detail step by step instructions)
- Divide the dough into marble size balls.
- Roll the matri’s around 1.5 inch in diameter
- Prick the matri’s with a knife or a simple pin, so that they should not puff up while frying.
- For rectangular matris:
- Divide the dough equally around 2-2.5 inch diameter balls.
- Roll out in the form of roti’s. Thickness varies as per your taste.
- If rolled out thin, matris will be more crispy.
- Cut using a cutter or a knife into squares or diamonds of around 1-2 cms. (I simply used my son’s play dough cutter 🙂 …washed it nicely and used it)
- If bigger squares prick them with a knife or a simple pin so that they do not puff up.
- In medium high heat put the matris and let it cook on slow gas. This is important or they might not cook properly.
- Once golden brown on both sides remove it in a strainer or an absorbent paper.
- Store it in an airtight container. If stored properly they remain good for at least a month.
- Enjoy it with a hot cup of Tea.
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.