Potato Bhaji (Dry Potato Vegetable)
I make many variations of Potato bhaji (Vegetable) and yes all are my favorite. I call this one as yellow potato bhaji, simply because I add turmeric. One I make is of Kali mirch and the other one is potato slice.
To this one, I add onion (For without onion see below) and curry leaves, and it gives a nice khata mitha taste to the bhaji. This goes well with roti and I use the same for masala for dosa. Earlier I use to not able to make this bhaji properly. I always loved my sister’s version of this one. I still remember I have made a horrible bhaji with this after my marriage :-). I feel that was just because of the fear that I had that I cannot make this one, don’t know why. But I did over come it and one can see that in the picture below. So here goes the recipe:
- 3-4 medium sized boiled potato
- 7-8 Curry leaves (Kadi patta)
- 1 onion cut lengthwise (optional)
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped (optional)
- 2 green chilies finely chopped (as per taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (as per taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped corainder
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (optional – if one wants to add, it adds to the crunch)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Cut the potatoes into quarters (1/8th).
- In a kadai or a pan, add oil. Once hot add mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackle add curry leaves.
- If adding urad dal add now and let it turn light brown.
- Now add the onion, and garlic. Saute until translucent. Be careful, we do not want the onion to burn. (If no onion and garlic, simply skip this step)
- Now add the green chilies. Saute for 10-20 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and then the potatoes.
- Mix it lightly. Now add red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt. Give it a nice mix.
- Now I like my potato to be soft and mushy so, I do mash them lightly, while cooking. It’s up to your preference.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes turning in between.
- Garnish with corainder.
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.