Buckwheat(Kuttu) Groat(Grain) PanCake
Buckwheat one of the healthiest food which needs to be incorporated in our diet, It has numerous health benefits, tasty and easy to prepare. In India we generally use Buckwheat flour and make pancakes , puris, halwa , etc during our fasting days. I remember my mother making Buckwheat pancakes during fast using buckwheat flour and I use to like the taste of it. I had bought buckwheat groats instead of the flour and thought to make something.
Buckwheat groats(hulled buckwheat) are unroasted, whole, raw buckwheat kernels. They are gluten free seeds from a plant related to rhubarb. One can google more benefits of Buckwheat.
I simply soaked them in hot water (almost boiled) for 30-45 minutes and mixed in spices to make a pancake batter. Quick and easy. One can even make it with Buckwheat flour. I used ghee (clarified butter) for shallow frying, one can even use oil. But I remember my mother use to cook it in ghee and it enhanced its flavor and so I used the same.
So here goes the recipe………..
- 1 Cup Buckwheat(Kuttu) groats (grain)
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- Water for grinding
- salt to taste
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) for shallow frying.
- Wash the Buckwheat groats thoroughly in water and soak it in hot water. (The water was almost boiled). Let it soak in this water for 30-45 minutes.
- The water will be slimy and sticky. Buckwheat has a property of making goo. Don’t worry, just drain the water and wash the buckwheat again in normal tap water thoroughly.
- Grind the washed and soaked, buckwheat groat along with green chillies and ginger.
- I made the batter to Dosa consistency, so one can add the required amount water to get desired consistency.
- Heat a dosa tawa or pan. Once hot, drizzle some ghee on the pan. Take 2 tablespoons of batter and spread it like dosa.
- Once half cooked drizzle some ghee on the sides and top of it and let it cook. It will start leaving sides.
- Flip it and let it cook on the other side. One can make it crisp or soft as per taste.
- Serve hot. I simply enjoyed it with Black pepper potato vegetable (Aloo ki kali mirchi ki sukhi bhaji).
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.