When I first encountered leek , I read it the menu of a hotel, as Leek and Potato soup, in the veg section. Never heard the name and it sounded to me as non-veg. I asked them is this veg, or rather completely no meat as I always ask, hehe. I was happy to know that yes it is a vegetable. Leek is a vegetable that belongs to the same family as onion and garlic. Yes It is somewhat similar to the raw onion or shallots, but bigger in size, and cylindrical in shape. The edible portions of the leek are the white base of the leaves (above the roots and stem base), the light green parts, and to a lesser extent the dark green parts of the leaves. One of the most popular uses is for adding flavor to stock. The dark green portion is usually discarded because it has a tough texture, but it can be sauteed or added to stock. I use the complete leek in the soup. Read more about Leek here. This soup is thick, creamy, filling and a complete meal in itself. So here goes the recipe:
- 1 Big potato (or 2 small)
- 1 Leek stem
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of cumin (Jeera, I add this, its optional)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil or butter
- One can add garlic and ginger too. I do not add it.
- Wash the leek thoroughly. Open each of the green leaves, as it contains mud particles. Wash them under running water.
- Cut the white portion into 1-2 inch lengthwise and around 1 cm in width.
- Cut the potato in 4 pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil.
- Once hot cumin seeds, Once it crackles add the white part of leek. Let it saute for a minute.
- Now add the green part of leek (I use this, it’s upto you if you wish to discard it) and the potato and saute for a minute.
- Add salt and just enough water to pressure cook it.
- Pressure cook it to 3 whistles(depends on your cooker). If using a pan, let it boil until soft, or steam it.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Once cooled, blend the mixture to a smooth paste in a mixer.
- Sieve it. Add more water to desired consistency.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat. Let it boil for around 5 minutes. Do stirr in between as it contains potato and it does stick to the bottom.
- Garnish it with black pepper and serve it hot .
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.