Whole Wheat Brown Bread
- 2.5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1.5 teaspoon of Fast Action Dry Yeast.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of luke warm water
- 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (1/4 to 1/2 cup more milk might be required depending on the dough)
- 1 tablespoon butter for brushingcoating
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushingcoating
- In lukewarm water (Should not be too hot or else the yeast will die) mix sugar and then mix yeast and keep it aside covered, for 10 minutes.
- Mix salt and flour. Once the yeast rises mix it and kneed it well using milk.
- Milk should be lukewarm. Should not be cold or very hot. If cold the dough won’t rise and if hot it will kill the yeast.
- Knead it with all your muscle strength. 🙂 around 10 minutes. If required use more milk. The dough should be sticky. Add more milk if required.
- Knead the dough on a work surface or a kitchen top, this helps in kneading it properly instead of kneading it in vessel. (First combine all in vessel and then take it on the work surface)
- After 5 minutes or so, keep on taking little butter in your palms and knead it using all the butter and keep on kneading for 10 minutes or so.
- The dough should be shiny and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a muslin cloth or with a cling film (on top of the bowl and not on dough) and let it rise for 90 minutes or until double in size.
- Once the dough doubles in size, punch it and again knead it for 3-4 mins. Form it in a rectangular log size of your loaf pan.
- Now slightly grease a loaf pan. Put the dough in it and let it double in size. (If required can top the layer with sesame seeds)
- Cover and let it rise for 90 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven at 200 deg Celsius. Brush the bread with milk (To get brown colour) (Brush the milk very lightly) and bake for 25 minutes. (All oven’s are different and you are the better judge of your oven. So heating time varies.) Do not exceed the baking time just because you are not getting the brown colour. It might go hard.
- Once done remove from oven and apply butter immediately and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife along the edges and remove from the baking tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Your Bread is ready. Enjoy it toasted or as is.
- For the dough to rise in cold countries , warm your oven for a few minutes. Switch off the oven and keep the utensil inside the oven. Remember to switch off the oven.
- We just want a warm climate, where in we can help rise the dough. Do not over heat or else you will kill the yeast. If required simply keep in the oven without warming or keeping the light on.
- Start with half the quantity in the start if you are not confident…..
- All oven’s are different and you are the better judge of your oven. So heating time varies.
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.