Tofu Bhurji or Indian-style Tofu Scramble is an easy and quick protein-rich vegan breakfast or lunch recipe made with simple everyday ingredients available at home.
This tofu bhurji is my take on tofu scramble. I have tweaked the Indian egg bhurji recipe here and replaced the egg with tofu. I am glad I did that as this added a healthy protein-rich breakfast to my menu.
What is a scramble
A scramble basically refers to eggs. I.e the egg whites and yolks are cooked together in oil or butter and a scramble is made. However, now we do have a tofu scramble. Vegetable scramble can also be made and I would say the making of a simple sautee of tomato can also be called a scramble.
Indian-Style Tofu Scramble
So today I made this Spicy Tofu Scramble in Indian Style. As said, the egg here is replaced with tofu. This tofu bhurji would go well with some parathas, flatbreads, and breakfast bread or simply wrapped up in lettuce. I even like to make it as a tofu scramble with potato filling for my masala dosa or chilla. They can be served as a side to your meals or best served along with this Vegan Irish Breakfast.
I started adding tofu to my family’s diet 2-3 years ago. I like to make Tofu paratha the same as Paneer Paratha. Kids love it and it is an easy way to add tofu. The recipe for Tofu paratha remains the same, except that paneer is replaced with tofu.
Another recipe that is my favorite in which tofu does not taste bland is this Vegan Kale, Tofu, and Corn Curry. Kale and corn add flavor and taste to this Vegan Tofu curry. And if you are looking for something more interesting, try this Pan-Fried Crispy Tofu Bowl , which is a Chinese-style preparation of Tofu.
And if you are a healthy geek, try this Tofu and Sprouted Moong Buddha Bowl. It is my style of preparing a buddha bowl with various flavors.
Ingredients used in Tofu Bhurji or Indian-Style Tofu Scramble
I have used silken tofu here and not the firm variety. Reason being I am making a scramble. It needs to be light with a soft texture. One can use regular type, but I would not advise using the firm to extra firm tofu for this recipe.
I drained the tofu to remove excess water for around 30 minutes. Note that this is optional as we are cooking the tofu like a bhurji and the water will eventually evaporate. But the silken tofu I get here has more water content, so I added this step.
Oil – One can use any vegetable oil. I have used olive oil.
Onions and Tomatoes are used as vegetables. One can add more veggies like pepper, beans, etc. I wanted to keep it simple.
For spices, I have used cumin seeds, green chilly, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. One can skip the red chilly powder if needed. Fresh coriander is added for flavor as well as a garnish.
I am sharing this recipe with the Shhh group where the theme for the month of February was Protein rich Vegetarian breakfasts suggested by me :-). My partner this month was Shobhaji from Shoba’s Food Mazaa.
She gave me cumin seeds and oil as the secret ingredient and I made this protein-rich, Vegan Tofu Bhurji. I gave her Green chilies & Ghee and she made this healthy Protein rich Stuffed Paneer Paratha.
Pin it for later
Tofu Bhurji or Indian-style Tofu Scramble
- 200 grams – 1 Cup Silken Tofu
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1-2 green chilies chopped as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder Optional or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garama Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Cup fresh chopped coriander
- In a heavy bottom pan add oil1 teaspoon oil
- Once hot add cumin seeds and let it splutter.1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Once done, add chopped onions and green chilies.1 small onion chopped, 1-2 green chilies chopped
- Saute until onions are translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, and turmeric powder and cook further until the tomatoes are done.1 small tomato chopped, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Add the tofu, red chili powder, and salt.200 grams – 1 Cup Silken Tofu, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, Salt to taste
- Mix everything and cook until the water almost evaporates from the tofu mixture.
- Add chopped coriander, garam masala, and finally mix everything.¼ Cup fresh chopped coriander, 1/2 teaspoon Garama Masala Powder
- Switch off and serve.
- 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tablespoon= 15 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- Measurements are a rough guide. One can adjust as per requirement.
Linking this with
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.