Non Fried Bread Pakoda
Last Updated on
I love bread pakoda but I do not eat it because it is fried, but still I enjoy it, how, I shallow fry with minimal oil. A lot better than completely fried. Even this I avoid for breakfast as it has bread and top it with besan layer, it becomes too heavy for the tummy. So I generally make tomato omelette or veg omelette as it is called, made with Besan (Chickpea flour/Gram flour), onions and tomatoes.
It was our anniversary and wanted to make something special for breakfast but at the same time a bit healthy. Had some white bread at home, generally I do not bring white anymore, but occasionally, so thought of making bread pakoda.
Since it was anniversary special breakfast I cut it into heart shaped and made it. One can use bread as is or cut into whatever shape one likes. I simply cut it with a scissor. One can use a heart shape cutter.
Try this savoury recipe instead of the usual sweet ones, on special occasions like Valentine Day or your anniversaries and your sure to win hearts.
Here goes the recipe:
- 2 Cup Besan (Chickpea flour)
- 1/4 Cup Rava (Semolina) (optional – to add the crunch)
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 big tomato or 2 small chopped very finely
- 2 green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder (as per taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon of Roasted Cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- 8 Bread Slices
- In a bowl add, Besan, Rava, Onion, Tomato, Green chilli’s, turmeric, red chilli powder, Coriander, cumin powder. Prepare a batter with water. The mix should not be too watery and not too thick, just enough so that the bread gets coated properly.
- Keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes. The besan will soak the water.
- In the mean time cut the bread slices in desired shape. I did cut into heart shape. One can make round disc, or simply cut the bread into two rectangle or two triangles.
- Heat a pan or a tawa.
- Take one bread slice and immerse it into the mix. Coat it on all the sides.
- Once the pan is hot, drizzle some oil on it and then put the bread slice on it. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on slow to medium flame/mark. (It might take a bit more or less time)
- Once it is golden brown , drizzle some oil on the top and flip it.. Cook on the other side again for 2-3 minutes. (It might take a bit more or less time)
- Similarly shallow fry the remaining slices of bread.
- Enjoy it with tomato ketchup and a cup of Tea.
- And here goes the ones made by my 7 year old, he loves food art and when I make something like this he is sure to join in. He made four, two, for mumma and papa and two for themselves.
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.