So this Month our Secret Shhhhh Cooking Secretly group group ventured out to the state of Madhya Pradesh. Madhya Pradesh is a state in central India and literally means “Central Province” and is located in the geographic heart of India. It is a state rich in mineral Resources, and has the largest reserves of diamond and copper in India. More than 30% of its area is under forest cover. MP is home to ten National parks and has a number of Nature reserves. (Source Wikipedia)
A state with such vast greenery, cultural mix and warm hospitality also has an array of mouth watering delicacies. MP offers everything to satisfy the foodie soul, from its lip smacking Poha, Daal Bafla, seekh kabab to desserts like Jalebi and Malpua. Now coming to today’s recipe, I decided to make this lip smacking and spicy Chakki ki Sabji based on the two secret ingredients Garlic and Whole wheat flour.
As you know In this group we are paired against a fellow blogger who gives two secret ingredients and we have to prepare a dish based on the theme. Once the dish is prepared we post the picture on the group and our other group friends guess the ingredients. It’s fun and interesting to see the different variations of the same recipe. This month I was paired with Bhawana Singh who blogs at Code2Cook. She has a wonderful collection of Vegetarian and Healthy Recipes. Recently she also added mouthwatering dishes for Fast/Vrat. Do check her blog for some yummy recipes.
Back to the dish now – The process of Chakki ki Sabji is a bit lengthy but totally worth the outcome. The different thing I learnt in this recipe is that the dough is soaked and washed in water for a few hours to remove it’s starch and the leftover dough is called Chakkii. Once the starch is removed from the dough, it is cut into small pieces and shallow fried or deep fried.
I had even read a variation to this dish , in which first the dough was steamed and then fried. For my dish , I directly shallow fried it. Also the rich gravy of the dish gives it a delicious flavor . There are a ton of spices going in the gravy but the end result is just yum .This dish is perfect as a main course for parties and get together. So grab your aprons and try this delicious dish from the heart of India.
Chakki ki Sabji | Ate ki Sabji (Tangy and spicy gravy with Whole wheat flour Dumplings)
For the Chakki (Whole Wheat Dumplings)
- 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- Water to knead the dough
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Water for soaking/immersing the dough
Ingredients for Gravy
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green chilly
- 5-6 Cashew Nuts
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds (Methi Dana)
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 2 Cloves (Long)
- 2 Whole Red Chillies
- 1-2 Bay leaf (Tej Patta)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- Red chilly powder to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (Jeera powder)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (or as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi), Lightly crushed between your palms
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Curd
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander leaves
- 2-3 Cups Water
For the Chakki (Whole Wheat Dumplings)
- Mix salt into the flour and knead the dough with water to a smooth and medium soft consistency. (Neither stiff nor very soft).
- One can add different spices like turmeric, red chilly powder, fennel seeds etc in the dough. I choose to keep it plain.
- Take a deep and wide bowl filled with water. Immerse the dough in this. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, a starchy layer will be formed on the dough. Gently rub this and you will see the water diluted. See the attached pic.
- Discard the water and again repeat the above 2 steps for a minimum of 2 more times.
- After 3 changes, wipe out excess water from the dough.
- Flatten the dough onto a plate around 1 cm in thickness. Cut into desired shapes.
- Shallow fry on slow to medium using oil until golden brown on both sides. Do not do this on fast as the inside of the Chakki will not be cooked.
- Once done keep it aside.
- Make a paste of Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green chilly and Cashew nuts without using any water.
- In a heavy bottom pan or a wok, add oil. Once heated add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds.
- Once they crackle add fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, clove, Red chilly and Bay leaf.
- Let it sizzle for a few seconds. Add the paste of Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green chilly and Cashew nuts.
- Let this paste cook thoroughly on slow to medium. It will take 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the remaining spices, that is Corinader powder, Red mirchi powder, Cumin powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric and fenugreek leaves.
- Give all the above a quick mix and let it cook for a minute.
- Now add the curd, stirring continuously. Stir it till the mixture comes to a boil or else the curd will curdle.
- Now add 2 cups of water. (One can adjust the water as per consistency required, keep in mind that the chakki will soak some of the gravy)
- Let the mixture come to a boil. Once it starts boiling add the Chakki pieces, salt and coriander.
- Let this cook further for 10 minutes on slow to medium, so that the chakki absorbs all the flavours.
- Serve this hot with some phulkas or rice.
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.