Wanted to have something spicy, hot, comforting in this cold weather, and at the same time healthy and less time consuming. Barley Soup and Khichdi were in my mind, so thought of a fusion of Barley and Khichdi. I was not sure how it will taste like as did not knew if I can actually combine both. So gave it a try. I made it a bit spicy, and made in olive oil instead of ghee and in a pot/kadai. One can even make in pressure cooker I guess, but thought Barley will go completely soggy so made it in a pot/kadai.
Here goes the recipe:
- 1/4 Cup yellow mung dal (lentil), washed and soaked for half an hour in warm water
- 1/4 Cup green mung dal(lentil), washed and soaked for half an hour in warm water
- 1/2 Cup Pearl Barley, washed and soaked for 15 minutes (My barley does not need soaking)
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 piece ginger chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 medium size carrots chopped into cubes
- 2 sweet red peppers chopped into cubes. (I simply added whatever vegetables was available in my fridge)
- 1 medium tomato cubed
- puree of 1 medium tomato
- salt as per taste
- 3 Cups water
- In a pot add oil.
- Once hot add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies.
- Saute it for 2-3 mins until translucent
- Add the green peas and carrots , a bit of salt and black pepper. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the red peppers , yellow mung dal, green mung dal, Barley, water and salt
- Mix it and let it come to a boil. Let it cook on high for 5-7 minutes, then on medium for another 10-15 minutes, stirring in between.
- Once the water is almost reduced, and the mixture starts sticking let it cook on minimum for another 5 minutes.
- Switch off and let the Khichdi sit for 10 minutes or so.
- Serve it hot with Papad.
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.
Friday 22nd of June 2018
Kichdis are to dies for, my very very favorite rice dish:) Your look wonderfully delicious, I never had pearl barley khichdi but would love to try out your recipe ASAP. Thanks Renu for sharing :)
Thursday 21st of June 2018
very healthy and nutritious khichdi. Great share.
Wednesday 20th of June 2018
I really love bajra khichdi as it adds a nice nutty texture to the overall preparation. Is also a versatile recipe as one can add any sort of vegetables and lentils.
Wednesday 20th of June 2018
Such a delicious and healthy meal. Addition of pearl barley in khichdi sounds really yummy!
Tuesday 19th of June 2018
yummm, a bowl of comfort just perfect for this blustery weather here