Paneer can be easily made at home by curdling milk with some acidic ingredient like lemon or vinegar. Check out the detail recipe here with step by step instructions on how to make paneer . It can be consumed by babies and adults. It gives instant energy , rich source of folate, rich in calcium so a great source for bones & teeth and helps in weight loss.
Since we are talking about the benefits of paneer, lets talk about peas. Green peas are low in calories in comparison with beans. They are a rich source of many minerals such as calcium, iron, copper, zinc etc. Often green peas is overlooked as a super food. Smaller green peas tend to be sweeter. One can eat the whole pod by itself or adding in salad’s or stir fries. The small round peas inside, by have many different uses like in soup, aloo matar etc. If one cannot get fresh green peas, they can be frozen. As children’s we use to love the smaller ones and eat it as is.
Did you check my other paneer dishes like
Broccoli and Paneer Paratha
Butter Paneer Masala
Home made Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
Kale, Broccoli and paneer Sandwich
Mung Sprouts & Methi Chila (PanCake), with Cabbage & Paneer Stuffing
Paneer (Cottage Cheese) Paratha
Paneer BabyCorn (No Onion no Garlic – Medium Gravy)
Vegetable Paneer Kofta
Vegetable Paneer Kofta Curry
Matar Paneer (Peas and Cottage Cheese) is very quick and easy to make and is very common in parties or special occasions. Many variations exist to this. Many add cream to add richness to the gravy, I add a paste of cashew & almonds (Kaju and Badam). It goes well with roti/naan or even rice and pulav. My gravy is not that typical red color as I have not added any color or any Kashmiri mirchi (Kashmiri Red chilly powder). One can add if required.
So here goes the recipe:
- 200 gms Paneer
- 1 Cup Green Peas
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Kaju (Cashew)
- 1/4 cup Almond (Badam)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 Green chilies (as per taste)
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Red chili powder if required (I do not add it)
- 1 Onion (Optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 inch Cinamon Crushed into pieces (Dalchini) or 1 tsp dalchini pwd
- 1-2 Bayleaves (Tejpatta)
- 3-4 Cloves (Long)
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- Boil Green Peas in a separate Pan for 10 mins or microwave on high for 5 mins.
- Puree the onion. Skip this step if without onion.
- Puree the Tomatoes along with green chilies and ginger in a blender or mixer.
- Puree Kaju and Almond along with 1/4 cup water. (Add more if required)
- Cut the paneer into small cubes. Paneer can be added as it is or just shallow fry them in Ghee to get light golden brown colour.
- In a Pan or Kadai, heat Ghee. When it is enough warm, add Jeera. Once it crackles at Cinamon, Bayleaves, Cloves.
- Add the onion paste and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Skip this step if without onion.
- Add the tomato puree and let it boil for a minute.
- Add GreenPeas to it. Add Salt as per taste turmeric and let it cook on slow heat, for 5-10 mins.
- Once the peas are done, add the paste of Kaju and Almond.
- Add water to it as per medium consistency. (Semi gravy)
- Wait for a boil and finally add Paneer and Kasoori methi. Mix Gently and let it cook for 5 mins on slow heat.
- One can add cream if required but I do not add as it already has a paste of cashew and almonds.
- Matar Paneer is ready. Serve with Roti/Chapatti/Naan or Rice
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.