Dahi wale Baingan or Eggplant in Yogurt Sauce is a yummy , tangy and an easy eggplant recipe made using a few spices available in your kitchen and can be assembled in 20-30 minutes.
Eggplant is native to India and is generally dark purple and glossy, thought different colours exist. There are more than 10 different varieties of this fruit. Yes it is a fruit which is cooked as a Vegetable.
This humble fruit has a an array of benefits line to it, but unfortunately it is underrated. Eggplants are loaded with dietary fibre and therefore good for digestion as well as weight loss. They are loaded with calcium and iron and hence good for bone health. (Source Internet).
Recipes with Eggplant | Aubergine
When I want to make a dish that will go well with some elaborate parathas like Warqi paratha or as a side to my Biryani or Neer Dosa. I choose to make this Hyderabadi Baingan ka Salan (Spicy Eggplant gravy with peanuts). If I need to enjoy something different, I make this Eggplant |Aubergine |Brinjal Pizza. Believe me this pizza is out of the world. Even a non eggplant lover will start loving eggplant.
Upcoming Recipes with Baingan
There is no surprise that this fruit would have loads and loads of different way of cooking. In India the Baingan Bharta , Bharwa Baingan is very common and though I had both in my drafts I choose to make this Dahi wale baingan. Another favourite of mine is a mix veg which I learnt from my mom, in which the star ingredient is Eggplant. You will never ever realise that you are eating eggplant, so a dish with fussy eaters.
I have chosen this dish for the group A-Z Recipe Challenge where the letter of the month was E. It means the we need to cook a dish, which has an ingredient starting with the letter of the month and it has to be in English. I have chosen Eggplant or Aubergine as called in many parts of the world and I choose to cook this yummy and tangy aka chatpata Dahi wale Baingan. I bet even those who do not like eggplant will fall in love with this.
Process of Dahi Wale Baingan
This Dahi wale Baingan is a very easy Eggplant Recipe. All you do is shallow fry the eggplants in oil or one can do that in oven too (My next attempt) and then prepare a masala or a gravy from 6-7 basic spices.
Later on you just need to assemble it. One can even add potato slices in this and make alternate layers of eggplant and potato. I have done that earlier, but this time only did with eggplant. So try this really easy baingan recipe for your next party and let me know your feedback.
So here is the recipe of Dahi wale Baingan | Eggplant in Yogurt Sauce
Dahi Wale Baingan | Eggplant in Yogurt Sauce
- 1 Big Eggplant cut into 1/4 inch thick slices (One can use any type of eggplant)
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 2 Cups of thick Yogurt
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Chopped Coriander for garnish.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil and shallow fry the eggplant slices on medium on both the sides, until done.
- This will take around 5 minutes each side.
- In the meanwhile, in a pan add 2 tbsp oil.
- Once medium hot add all the masala’s and keep on stirring the mixture. We do not want the masala to be burned.
- Add water a little by little and let the masala cook on medium for around 10 minutes.
- Once all the eggplant are shallow fried keep it aside and let the masala cool down a bit.
- In a wide dish, first spread around a teaspoon of masala.
- Then arrange a layer of eggplant.
- Spread another teaspoon of masala on the eggplant layer.
- Then add the yogurt on top (Leaving about 1 tablespoon)
- Repeat the above steps again, i.e. add some masala, eggplant and again some masala.
- Top it up with the remaining yogurt.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Linking this with
Let’s be Friends
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.