Looking for quick and easy comfort or hearty food for the cold winters? Then try this one pot, Easy Vegetarian Broccoli Chowder. A simple quick and filling meal that is done in 30 minutes from start to finish.
What is chowder?
Chowder is basically a thick soup prepared with milk or cream along with a roux (a mixture of flour and fat), along with seafood or vegetables. Potatoes are one of the main ingredients typically used in a chowder.
Chowder is one of the famous recipes in the UK and Ireland. But unfortunately getting a vegetarian chowder is not easy at times. So I decided to put my version of Vegetarian Broccoli chowder.
This Broccoli chowder is fresh, chunky, and creamy. It does not have any cheese added but gets its creaminess from nutritious sweet potatoes. Celery and onion give the chowder or the creamy soup a distinctive flavor. Pepper or banana pepper is added for that extra kick.
And I am happy to say that I am using my homegrown broccoli and banana pepper here. So satisfying to use your home grown organic food. One such similar recipe where I have used most of my home produce is this Pumpkin Chickpea Kale Curry, which has the goodness of fresh pumpkin and kale.
This soup is easily done in an open pot. Vegetables are cooked in water or vegetable stock until done. A mixture of flour and water is added to thicken the soup a bit. But honestly, if you wish one can completely skip it, and still the soup would be creamier and thick.
The soup is best-enjoyed piping hot as is or with a side of some bread or garlic bread. It is filling and perfect for dark winter nights. I promise you will not miss any meat.
Last month our theme for the month was Soup for our Shhhh Cooking Secretly group suggested by Priya Iyer from the World Through my Eyes. She asked us to make some warm and comforting soups. So when Mayuri di from Mayuri’s Jikoni gave me milk and celery I decided to make this Easy Vegetarian Broccoli Chowder.
I gave her Celery and sage and she made this hearty Barley Pumpkin Soup. Delicious and filling, and one of the best during winter months.
Ingredients used in Easy Vegetarian Broccoli Chowder
The main ingredient in the recipe is Broccoli. I have used a good quantity of broccoli here as I really wanted it to be the key ingredient.
The next main ingredient is sweet potato. Generally, regular white potatoes are used in chowder. I have replaced this with sweet potato. It adds to the carb portion of the soup as well as makes the soup creamy and comforting.
Onion, celery, and garlic are added to give the soup a distinct flavour. I have used one small Banana Wax pepper from my garden, but one can replace it with any green pepper or mild chilly or skip it completely.
The soup is cooked in a mix of water and milk. Water can be replaced with vegetable broth or chicken broth if you like. I am using regular milk here, but vegans can use coconut milk or any vegan milk of their choice.
A mixture of flour and water is used to thicken the soup a little. But if you prepare to skip it completely and make it gluten-free you can.
Fresh Black pepper powder is used to season the soup.
Recipe process of Easy Vegetarian Broccoli Chowder
The recipe is quite simple. All you do is saute the onion, celery, and garlic in some butter. Vegans can replace this with coconut oil.
Next is the addition of vegetables. Broccoli, sweet potato, and pepper are added along with water. The mixture is then allowed to cook for some time until the sweet potatoes are slightly done.
Next goes in milk and salt and the chowder is allowed to simmer for 10 minutes on slow or until the veggies are done. This helps the veggies get cooked and absorb all flavors. I then slightly crushed the veggies using a hand blender. This makes the soup creamy as well as chunkier. It is a completely optional step and can be skipped.
A mixture of flour and water is then added to thicken the soup. Honestly, I was thinking if I should skip this step, as my soup was already creamy. But as it is generally added in a chowder I did not skip it.
Most of the time cheese is added to a chowder. I have not added it, but if you wish to try adding some extra mature cheddar. It will add some delicious taste to the chowder.
Can I freeze this?
The quantity of ingredients used makes a big batch of chowder or soup. One can either freeze it or keep it refrigerated for 2-3 days. If you are freezing, freeze in batches or individual portion sizes. Defrost and heat before consuming.
Is this Vegan?
I have used butter and regular milk and hence it is not vegan. However, Butter can be replaced with coconut oil or any vegetable oil and milk with coconut milk or any plant-based milk.
Is this Gluten-free?
A tablespoon of flour is used to thicken. This can be replaced with gluten-free flour or can be skipped completely to make it gluten-free.
Shelf life of chowder
This should stay good in the fridge for 2-3 days. As it is milk based, it is advised to consume soon or freeze it.
Pin it for later –
Easy Vegetarian Broccoli Chowder
- 4 Cups broccoli cut into small florets
- 1.5-2 cups sweet potato cut into cubes
- 1 cup celery – 2 sticks chopped finely
- 1 small Banana Wax Pepper or Green pepper – chopped (Optional)
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 2 medium size garlic cloves minced or grated
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour + 1/4 cup milk – Optional
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon Butter – Can be replaced with vegetable oil
- Clean and rinse all the vegetables.4 Cups broccoli cut into small florets, 1.5-2 cups sweet potato cut into cubes, 1 cup celery, 1 small onion chopped finely, 1 small Banana Wax Pepper or Green pepper
- Chop or dice as mentioned or as required.
- In a heavy bottom, pot add butter.2 tablespoon Butter – Can be replaced with vegetable oil
- Once hot, add chopped onion and garlic.1 small onion chopped finely, 2 medium size garlic cloves minced or grated
- Sautee until translucent.
- Now add celery, broccoli, sweet potato, and pepper.4 Cups broccoli cut into small florets, 1.5-2 cups sweet potato cut into cubes, 1 small Banana Wax Pepper or Green pepper, 1 cup celery
- Add water and the mixture comes to a boil.4 cups water
- Once you have a boil let it simmer for 5 minutes until the sweet potatoes are slightly done.1.5-2 cups sweet potato cut into cubes
- Now add in the milk and let the mixture come to a boil again. Stir in between or else the milk might stick at the bottom.3 cups milk
- Once the mixture starts boiling again, Add salt and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Keep stirring occasionally.Salt to taste
- In a small bowl make a mixture of 1 tablespoon of flour and one-fourth cup of milk.1 tablespoon flour + 1/4 cup milk – Optional
- Mix it and add the mixture to the chowder.
- Stir, and if required using a hand blender slightly pulse the chowder.
- This helps make it more creamy and chunkier.
- Switch off, add freshly ground black pepper and serve.black pepper to taste
- Standard US Size cups and spoons are used. 1 cup = 237 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- Sweet potatoes can be replaced with white potatoes.
- Pumpkin or butternut squash can be added too instead of sweet potato.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.