So today we are travelling to Turkey to explore their flatbread Gözleme. Gözleme is a traditional savory Turkish flatbread and pastry dish. The dough is unleavened and made with only flour , salt and water. The dough is rolled thin and then filled generally with meat, spinach, feta and lots of herbs. Being a vegetarian, our filling was with potatoes and spinach, topped with some feta cheese and mint. For DH, I made it using minced lamb, and for the first time I cooked lamb in my kitchen. I would say definitely give this a try and enjoy it straight from the griddle. The combination of potatoes, spinach and the soft cheese along with a minty taste crave you for more. The taste was just awesome, I am sure to make it again and again. There are many different recipes on the net and I have used this one. I don’t know if it is authentic or not, but we loved it.
The other thing is that it is quick to make though it looks like a big process. The key here is rolling the dough as thin as possible as we are going to make them in parcel form and it has to be cooked nice and even. Feel free to use the filling of your choice, the possibilities are endless. So here goes the recipe:
Recipes in this series of A-Z International FlatBreads
B- Boxty – Irish Potato FlatBread
F-Farinata Genovese : Ligurian Chickpea Flatbread
Gözleme (Turkish Flatbread with Potato, Spinach, Mint and Feta Cheese)
For the Dough
- 2 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt plain / Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Water (more or less may be required depending on the flour)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3-4 medium size potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red chilly powder / Smoked Paprika (as per taste)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Spinach chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mint chopped/torn into small pieces
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley/Coriander
- 1 small Tomato chopped
For the Dough
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add yogurt and water. Give it a quick mix.
- If the dough is dry add more water a tablespoon at a time.
- Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover and set aside.
For the Filling
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot saute onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in the potatoes, spinach, Tomato paste, coriander powder, Red chilly powder, Black Pepper powder and salt.
- Let it cook until the spinach is all done. Say 3-4 minutes. If you mix is a bit soft let it cook for an addition 3-4 minutes. Let it cool.
Cooking the Gözleme
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts or as desired on the size required.
- Roll it out as thin as possible and in the shape of a rectangle.
- Spread the filling evenly in the center, leaving around 1.5 inches from each side.
- Top it up with chopped tomatoes, feta cheese and mint.
- Very lightly brush the edges with water.
- Take one side and put it on the mixture. Carefully grab the other end and put it on the first one, so that it covers and seals.
- We need to make it in the shape of an envelope so that the filling is nicely sealed with the dough.
- Cook it on slow until evenly cooked from all the sides.
- Enjoy it hot.
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Did you check our Offers & Promotions page yet? If Not do click here.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
Day 7- International Flat Breads – Letter G
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 92
[inlinkz_linkup id=783041 mode=1]
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter or Google+.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.
Saturday 20th of October 2018
oh girl give me this gozleme flatbread and I will finish in no time. with such a delicious and lip smacking filling I will go crazy for sure. bookmarked.
Friday 12th of October 2018
Wow.. look at color, lovely option of filling , awesome.
Tuesday 9th of October 2018
Gözleme looks fantastic Renu. I enjoyed it so much when I had made for a previous edition..I think with potato cheese and flour, everything tastes out of the world. Love your presentation..and I am sure your meat preparation came out well too!
Tuesday 25th of September 2018
Almost same pinch Renu. I also made gozleme, but without the potatoes. I would like to to try this with potato as well sometime. Looks delicious.
Friday 21st of September 2018
The stuffing sounds so delicious and the gozleme has come out so well Renu!