Another version of Instant Idli’s for our 3 day Easy Breakfast series. As I said in my earlier post on Semolina and Vermicelli Instant Idli (Steamed Cakes) ~ Rava & Sevai Instant Idli , that I love making idli’s as it is less time consuming. Infact my this series was going to be Instant Idli cum breakfast series, but did not got some flour’s :-(. Anyways coming back to Idli’s, the other reasons I like to make this is they are filling and healthy. Yes one should have a good, healthy and a filling breakfast, as breakfast literally means Breaking the fast, i.e. when you are not eating during the night time.
The other good thing is that you can sneak in some vegetables which are difficult to feed at times to kids. This Instant Carrot Rava Idli’s can be made withing 20-30 mins from start to finish , so easier for busy morning’s or even a very good idea when you have sudden guest at home.
You may add the vegetables or skip it completely it is upto you, I like to add it as it adds some crunch to the Idli’s as well as taste. Do add chopped coriander as it definitely takes this Idli’s to the next level, without it you feel there is something missing.
Other Idli Varieties on my blog
Instant Carrot Semolina (Rava) Idli
- 1 Cup Roasted Semi Coarse Semolina (Rava)
- 2 tbsp Curd
- Chopped Green chilly to taste
- 1 tbsp Chopped Coriander
- 1/2 Cup Grated Carrot (1 medium size) (Or vegetable of your choice)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Fruit Salt (Eno)
- Water as required
- Oil for greasing Idli moulds
- Water for steaming
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 7-8 Curry leaves
- Roast the Semolina in some ghee (clarified butter) or oil , if not already roasted. Let it cool.
- Once cool, in wide bowl add the Semolina, salt and curd and enough water . Mix everything. Do not too much water, we want a semi thick / dropping consistency batter, not runny. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes so that the Semolina hydrates/soaks water.
- In the meantime grate the carrots and grease the Idli moulds and keep the water for boiling in the Idli vessel or in a wide vessel big enough for the Idli moulds.
- After 5-10 minutes, add the carrots, coriander, green chilly and give a quick mix.
- In a small pan, add the oil, once hot, add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle add Cumin seeds and Curry leaves. Add this mix to the batter. (Tempering is completely Optional)
- Just before putting the Idli batter in the mould add fruit salt and a tablespoon of water and mix everything. Adjust water consistency, if too thick. Do not add too much water, we want a semi thick / dropping consistency batter, not runny.
- Add the batter in the greased Idli moulds and keep the Idli moulds for steaming for 10 minutes.
- Remove after 10 minutes. Let it rest on the counter for 1 min. With a spoon, remove the Idli's.
- Serve it with chutney or tea for breakfast, or pack in your kid's or your office lunchboxes.
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.