You all must be thinking that how did I forget India in this series of International Flatbreads. No I did not, but being an Indian I knew many flatbreads soI have purposely kept the Indian flatbreads for the difficult letter’s, like u,v,w,x,y,z. So when I finally shortlisted all, which was till last week I decided for Warqi Paratha for the letter W. So what is Warqi Paratha?. Warqi Paratha literally means layered paratha. (warq means layer) similar to laccha paratha but with a complete different method of preparation.
Laccha Paratha is usually folded like a fan, and then in circular roll and then flattened out again. Check out my recipe of Whole wheat Laccha Paratha or Layered Paratha here. Warqi paratha is folded in half many times to create as many layers as required and then flattened out again. Many recipes even recommend keeping the dough refrigerated for some time before rolling out the paratha. This makes the paratha more flaky and full of layers. I did follow the Warqi Paratha recipe from here. We paired this paratha with some spicy Chole and loved it to the fullest.
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour/Plain Flour/ Maida
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Milk at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Melted Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1/4 Cup Melted Ghee for brushing
- Flour for dusting
- In a large bowl, Add the flour, sugar, salt, milk and ghee. Mix everything, and then knead well to form a smooth and soft dough. Use milk only to make the dough.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, roll the dough into a large rectangle. Then apply some ghee and sprinkle some flour on top of it.
- Fold it one above the other or grab both the edges and align it in the center to form an envelope.
- Again apply ghee and sprinkle flour till you get a small rectangle. The key here is to have as many layers as one can have.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes repeat the above 4 steps and refrigerate again for 15 minutes.
- In all you would need to refrigerate minimum 3 times.
- After the last refrigeration, roll out the dough again and use a cookie cutter or the back of a saucer and cut into circles.
- You can lightly roll the circles again to thin the paratha's or to enlarge it if your paratha looks too thick.
- Alternatively one can divide the dough into equal size balls and roll each like a paratha.
- Shallow fry them using ghee on medium until golden from both the sides.
- Once cooked, hold the paratha in a clean kitchen towel and lightly crush it within your palms so that the layers come out.
- Enjoy it hot with some spicy curry.
Recipes in this series of A-Z International FlatBreads
B- Boxty – Irish Potato FlatBread
F-Farinata Genovese : Ligurian Chickpea Flatbread
G- Gözleme (Turkish Flatbread with Potato, Spinach, Mint and Feta Cheese)
H- Harcha (Moroccan FlatBread)
I – Injera (Ethiopian FlatBread)
K-Knäckebröd – Swedish Multi-Seed Crispbread
L- Lachuch (Yemenite FlatBread)
M-Manakish Za’atar (Levantine Flatbread)
N-Noni Afghani (Afghan Flatbread)
O-Omani Maldouf – A FlatBread made with Dates
T-Tiganopsomo – The Greek version of fried bread
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Did you check our Offers & Promotions page yet? If Not do click here.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
Day 23- International Flat Breads – Letter W
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 92
[inlinkz_linkup id=783061 mode=1]
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter or Google+.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.
Tuesday 23rd of October 2018
Warqi paratha definitely won the show today. I am in love with each and every recipe and the unique ways to fold the paratha to get the perfect layers.
Tuesday 23rd of October 2018
wow Renu, you made this flaky warqi paratha like my mother. drooling here with this crushed look and with chole I just want some.
Tuesday 16th of October 2018
I remember shortlisting this one but made something else! The warqi paratha looks perfect and crispy!
Sunday 14th of October 2018
Wow Renu, perfect layered flatbread, super super tempting. I'll have to try making them as its seems the flatbread of the day.
Friday 12th of October 2018
Oh gosh this is sinful!..your warqi paratha looks so inviting ...and I think this one topped the list for the day right..you got it done so well!