Besan Pakodi/Pakoda/Bite Size/Finger Food
Last updated on July 25, 2018
When I was make pakodi for my Pakodi Kadhi, I make some extra batches so that I can allow my children to snack on this cute little munchies. After all I too love snacking on them now and also as a child. I know it is shallow fried but it is better than the store bought stuff which we give to children’s. Since it is made of Besan(Gram flour) it is gluten free.
There are many different method’s of making pakoda but this is special to us or the way it is always made by my mom at my home. The uniqueness of this pakodas is that it has double mouth (as called by my mom, 2 muh ki pakodi) and are made on a roti tawa. You wont be able to get the double mouth in a kadai or a deep wok. Now since I do not have the typical roti tawa, I made it in a pan doubtful that it will come the same way. Yipee it did come. Since it pop’s out or has double mouth, it has softer and melt in mouth texture as opposed to the normal’s pakoda’s.
- 1/2 Cup Besan/Gram Flour/ChickPea Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/4 teaspoon Jeera (Cumin seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Oil for shallow frying
- Roti Tawa/Shallow pan for frying
- Sift the Besan. I do this as it incorporates air into the flour and also it becomes a lump free batter. Besan has a tendency to form lumps.
- Add the Salt, Turmeric, Red Chilly powder, Jeera , Asafoetida.
- Mix the remaining ingredients except water and give it a quick stir.
- Slowly add water and keep on mixing the batter, so that you have a lump free batter.
- The consistency of the batter should be of dropping and not runny.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes so that the besan absorbs water.
- Heat the tawa and add enough oil. Not full and not less. Less oil will not make the pakodi’s fluff.
- Once the oil is hot, take a dollop of batter in between your fingers, and make a pakodi shape with the help of your fingers and thumb.
- Slide the batter with the thumb in the oil.
- Drop the pakodi on the edge and not in the center. It will slowly slide in.
- Keep on dropping a few pakodi’s on the edge in a full circle, they should slowly go in the center.
- If not you can slowly slide it in the center.
- You can now see that they are starting to pop and make the double mouth.
- Once cooked from the underside flip and let it cook on the other side. Tongs are best to flip and make this type of pakodi’s.
- Once cooked remove it on an absorbent paper.
- Enjoy it as is or use it in Pakodi Kadhi. I bet you cannot stop resisting it.
Pin it for Later
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.