Farinata or Faina whose origin lies in Liguria, Italy is a savoury flatbread made from highly nutritious chickpea flour. The day I saw this recipe here, I immediately shortlisted it . This is very easy dish to make which taste delicious and perfect for the morning breakfast.
Farinata is made with a loose batter of chickpea flour, water, olive oil and salt. It is typically baked in a hot cast iron pan. Since I didn’t have such pan, I baked in a hot cake tin in the oven. It turned out perfect even with this adjustment. This flatbread can also be used like pizza dough topped with sauce and cheese or vegetables. I also added some sliced onion and fresh rosemary in my preparation.
The key to make this flatbread is to bake in a hot pan until it renders a golden colour . The base should be crispy but soft in the middle . This dish can be made for breakfast or as an appetizer. We enjoyed this as a breakfast with a cup of tea.
Do try it and let know your comments.
Recipes in this series of A-Z International FlatBreads
Farinata Genovese : Ligurian Chickpea Pancake/Flatbread
- 1 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 3/4 Cup Water
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 1/2 large Onion thinly sliced, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh Rosemary optional.
- Sift the chickpea flour in a bowl. Add salt and mix. Slowly add water to start mixing it to eliminate lumps. Add in 1 tablespoon of oil and mix everything.
- Cover, and let sit for one hour, or overnight. The chickpea will absorb the batter and and will thicken.
- Adjust the consistency of the batter by adding a bit of water if required. We do not need to runny or too thick batter. Something similar to dosa or crepe batter.
- I let the cake tin first get heated in the oven for 5 minutes. Then I added about 1 tablespoon of Oil.
- Added the Onion to it and let it again cook in the oven for a minute.
- I added Rosemary to it (leaving about 1/2 teaspoon). and gently poured the batter on top of it.
- Sprinkle the remaining rosemary on top of it and let it bake for 20-40 minutes. Mine was done in 20 minutes. Baking time will vary based on type of pan used.
- Turn on broiler and broil for a minute or two until the top gets browned.
- Allow to set for a few minutes and then carefully remove from pan.
- Allow to cool a bit. Cut into wedges and serve. We enjoyed this as a breakfast with a cup of tea.
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
Day 6- International Flat Breads – Letter F
[inlinkz_linkup id=783040 mode=1]
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.