Want to indulge in chocolate heaven? Then try these irresistible Double Chocolate Chip cookies. One of our favorites of all time and one of the easiest cookies to make. I have baked this so many times that I have now forgotten the count.
Beginner Cookies or Easy Cookies
These chocolate chip cookies are really easy and can be done by a novice baker or a beginner who wants to make cookies. Let me tell you, I posted this recipe for the first time in 2018 as a part of the bake-a-thon series. These cookies were made by my son who just turned 9 at that time. So you know that these cookies are really easy to make.
He used to have this interest in baking and cooking since he was quite small. Ok, I am not going to bore you with his stories or my memories, but I love to see him help me. He wanted to make cookies for Santa all by himself and he enjoyed doing all the chores, from weighing to making the dough, to shaping and finally baking. The mom in me was a bit scared when he was handling the hot oven, but I had to hide my fear. I did 3 bakes on that day and he helped me in all. What an awesome day it was.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies as Edible Gifts
These cookies are so quick to make. So when you have a big batch of cookies to be done, I would highly recommend giving this a try. I always do this when I want to bake something quickly. Or when I have to make a large batch to give to family and friends as edible gifts.
These cookies are also the main cookies that travel to me India for my brother, and his family. My niece and nephew are just waiting for them. My brother has to hide and eat his share. Wow, so many memories.
Cookies as Edible Gifts
Eggless Oats and Dates Cookies, and these Gluten-free cookies for Gluten-Intolerant friends, Chocolate Coconut Flour Cookies (Gluten Free), Eggless Jowar Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free), Buckwheat Oats Cookies, Leftover Split ButterCream Cookies
Today’s Recipe for Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
So coming to today’s Double Chocolate Chip cookie recipe, this cookie is overloaded with chocolate flavor. The taste of cocoa powder and the crunch of dark and white chocolates, with rich butter, makes it a pure indulgence for chocolate lovers like me.
They have the perfect outer crunch with a soft inside texture. Yes, that’s what a cookie should be, with the melt-in-mouth texture. Have it with a hot cuppa or treat your kids to these cookies with a glass of milk.
These overloaded chocolate chip cookies can be baked in just 8-10 minutes. Once the dough is assembled which too hardly takes 10 minutes max, we refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes. The more the better. I would say if we can refrigerate it for 60 minutes or until they appear firm it is best.
One can even make the dough a day earlier, refrigerate it, and bake it the next day. This helps in spreading out your work if that helps. Just before baking let it sit out for 10-15 minutes, during the time your oven is preheating.
This post was first published on 31st December 2018. Today I am updating it with more step-by-step pics and adding a video to the recipe.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup 113 grams Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup 150 grams Dark brown sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- 1 cup 130 grams Whole wheat flour – Can be replaced with all-purpose flour / plain flour/maida
- 1/4 cup 30 grams Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt – Skip if using salted butter
- 1 200 grams combination of white and Dark chocolate chips or chunks – One can use just one type only
- Ingredients for Double Chocolate Chip Cookies1 cup 130 grams Whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon Salt – Skip if using salted butter
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the cocoa powder and sift it too.1/4 cup 30 grams Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- In a small bowl add the chocolate chips. Add 2 tablespoons of the dry mixture and mix it evenly.1 200 grams combination of white and Dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or simply use the trays as is. Keep it aside.
- In another bowl, add the butter.1/2 cup 113 grams Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- Beat the butter until it is light and smooth. Around 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the sugar.3/4 cup 150 grams Dark brown sugar
- beat again until the sugar is mixed evenly and the mixture appears light and soft. (2-3 mins)
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.1 large Egg, 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Make a smooth dough.
- Take a lime size bowl, or use an ice cream scoop as a guide for measurement.
- Evenly shape the cookie into balls. Slightly flatten between your hands.
- Place the cookies on a baking tray.
- Do keep about 2 inches of space in between as the cookies might spread during baking.
- Refrigerate the cookies for about 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C / 350 Deg F.
- Once done, bake in a preheated oven at 180 Deg C / 350 Deg F for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are still soft in the center but firm on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on the baking sheet.
- Cool it completely before storing it in an airtight container.
Baking Times vary, you are a better judge of your oven.
I always refrigerate my cookie batter before baking.
If you want to skip you can, but the cookie might spread a bit.
Also if the batter is soft, it is advisable to refrigerate it.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.