Eggless Oats and Dates cookies are soft and chewy cookies, which use dates in the form of natural sugar. They are a delicious and relatively healthy treat for your loved ones.
Cookies as Edible Gifts
They are perfect as edible gifts for Diwali, Christmas or thanksgiving. Healthy and delicious edible gift ideas for your loved ones. Another quick and easy gift idea is this Spiced Candied Mixed Nuts.
My kids love cookies and I am always looking for ways in which I can give them healthier substitutes instead of normal sugar-laden cookies. Why buy when you can make some healthy cookies at home. It is so much easy and you exactly know what goes in your cookies or baked goods.
My kids love to explore the different cookies I make. Yes sometimes it is a miss or a hit between the two, but nevertheless, they love it and so do their friends.
Kid Approved Cookies 🙂
When I made these Oats and Dates cookies, I thought they will not like them. I have not made the cookies flat with a fudgy texture. But to my surprise my younger fussy eater loved it. Yes, she is the one who will throw all tantrums and if she does not like it will not eat it. But she and her friend happily enjoyed it with some milk. I was one happy Mumma as my daughter was enjoying some homemade Oats cookies that too without processed sugar.
Texture of the cookies
As said these cookies have a soft melt in the mouth texture. Somewhat fudgy but not hard. These cookies are perfect with some milk or coffee on the side. A similar fudgier texture cookie is this, Chocolate Coconut Flour Cookies (Gluten Free).
Few more cookie recipes on my blog –
- Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti ~ A perfect Christmas Treat
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gingerbread Men
- Nankhatai Take 2 | Indian Eggless Cookie
- Beet Root and Oats Cookies
- Spritz Cookies (Swedish Butter Cookies)
- No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients for Eggless Oats and Dates Cookies
Oats – I have used ready to roll oats, but one can use any variety of oats. If the grain of the oats is large you can slightly grind it in a food processor.
Flour – I have used whole wheat flour here to give some binding and body to the cookies. One can use All purpose flour/ Plain flour too
Dates – Sugar here comes in from Dates. Dates do have natural sugar in them and are a great substitute for white or processed sugar. I have used the Sukkary Dates Variety.
Milk – Milk is used to soak the dates as well as the liquid ingredient to bind the cookies. Vegans can use almond or coconut milk.
Cocoa powder – It is just added for that chocolate flavour. If you want to skip it, replace it with an equal amount of flour.
Baking powder & salt – Rising Agent and for flavouring.
Choco Chips – Again added for flavour. One can skip it completely or replace it with almonds or nuts of choice.
Oil – is used as the fat. I have used vegetable oil. One can use coconut or olive oil too.
Recipe process of Eggless Oats and Dates Cookies
The recipe is quite simple. First, I soak the dates for 20-30 minutes in lukewarm milk. This helps the dates to soften and you can form a smooth date paste. Then in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add the dates paste to it and mix. Form cookies and bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
I did not press the cookies much, as I did not want flat cookies. But as it contains oil and not butter, they did not spread much. So if you want you can press the cookies more and give them a more flat structure.
Eggless Oats and Dates cookies
- 1 cup 95 grams Oats
- ½ cup 81 grams – Whole Wheat flour (One can use normal All-purpose flour/ Plain flour too)
- ½ cup 95 grams dates – around 12 when deseeded
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup 60 ml Luke warm milk -Vegans can use almond or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp 15 grams cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- De seed the dates and soak the dates in lukewarm milk for 30 minutes.½ cup 95 grams dates – around 12 when deseeded, ¼ cup 60 ml Luke warm milk
- In a large bowl add oats.1 cup 95 grams Oats
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder in it.½ cup 81 grams – Whole Wheat flour (One can use normal All-purpose flour/ Plain flour too), 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ tsp salt, 2 tbsp 15 grams cocoa powder
- Add in Chocolate chips and give a quick mix.2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C / 350 Deg F
- While the oven is preheating, In a blender, blend the dates and milk to form a smooth mixture.
- Add this dates mixture along with oil to the dry mix.2 tbsp oil
- Bind everything to form a dough.
- If you are not able to bind it, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time. (It will not be required mostly)
- Take around 2 tablespoons of mixture and form into a cookie shape.
- One can slightly press the cookies to give it a flat appearance.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is firm to touch.
- Let the cookies cool completely on the baking tray itself.
- Transfer into an airtight container once cooled completely.
- Standard US Size cups used. 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- This cookie dough is stiff or thick. If by chance your dough is soft, refrigerate the cookies before baking for 30 minutes. This will help in the cookies not spreading much while baking.
- All ovens are different, so do check the cookies after 15 minutes.
- Vegans can use almond or coconut milk
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.