Bake this famous Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks using whole wheat flour at the comfort of your home. Crispy on the outside and soft and with full of garlicky buttery taste inside. One can make this plain or stuffed with cheese to make Cheese garlic breadsticks.
And if you like to explore further, add some corn to get that corn cheese garlic breadsticks or some mixed veggies for the veggie breadsticks. Once you master the base recipe you can just play around.
Table of contents
- Types of Breadsticks
- Whole Wheat flour Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks
- Time required to make this Restaurant Style Cheese Garlic Breadsticks
- Can I make the dough a day ahead?
- Key Ingredients in making Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks
- Recipe process of Dominos Style garlic breadsticks
- Substitutions for Whole Wheat flour
- Vegan Substitutions
- Can this bread be kept in the fridge?
- Can this bread be frozen?
- Filling ideas for stuffed garlic breadsticks.
- Inside Texture of Dominos Style Cheese Garlic Breadsticks
Types of Breadsticks
These breadsticks differ a little from the Italian Style breadsticks also known as grissini, grission, or dipping sticks. They are generally made thin and long pencil-sized. Often served as appetizers and topped up with butter, garlic, cheese, or sesame seeds.
These Dominos-style garlic bread are soft and frequently topped with butter, garlic, and cheese when served as appetizers. I do make these Herbed Whole Wheat breadsticks for my kid’s evening snacks and they love it with some butter or cheese.
Another easy recipe and an after-school snack where we can stuff it with chocolate, cheese, or pizza stuffing are these Air Fryer Soft Pretzel Bites. If you have the dough ready, this can be made in as little as 10 minutes.
Whole Wheat flour Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks
Generally, these breadsticks are made with bread flour, all-purpose or plain flour. However, I am making this with whole wheat flour, i.e. the ata which we use in our Indian kitchen to make rotis or flatbreads. As Whole wheat flour is a little less processed than plain flour, I like to bake my bread using whole wheat flour as opposed to plain flour.
Whole wheat flour has a bit of a rough texture as compared to plain flour and the rise in the bread would be a little less as compared to plain flour. One can even make these breadsticks using wholemeal flour but depending on the flour used the texture would change.
My son loves Dominos garlic breadsticks or any garlic bread. So when Aruna from VasusVegKitchen asked us to make any restaurant-style dish for our group Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge I decided to make this Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks. These breadsticks were perfect to make with the secret ingredients of whole wheat flour and yeast given to me by Mayuri di my co-admin from the group.
Before I hop on how to make these delicious and yummy breadsticks, do check out Aruna’s blog for this Restaurant style curd Rice, Daddojanam, Thair sadam, and Mayuri’s blog for this yummy Kenyan Style Masala Chips.
Time required to make this Restaurant Style Cheese Garlic Breadsticks
Making these breadsticks is easy but needs a bit of planning as the dough needs to be proofed. The total time needed would be 3-3.5 hours from start to finish.
Can I make the dough a day ahead?
One can make the dough a day ahead and let it slowly proof in the fridge. The next rise or making of the breadsticks can be done just 30 minutes before bringing the dough to room temperature.
Key Ingredients in making Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks
As the name suggests, garlic is one of the key ingredients in this recipe. I have used fresh garlic cloves here and I thought it would be too much, but believe me, it was not. So use the quantity mentioned or more or else you would not enjoy it.
Garlic is used in the dough, for brushing inside the garlic breadsticks as well as on the top. Many skip the garlic on the top, however, I have used a mixture of garlic and butter for that extra zing.
Next, I have used a mixture of mixed dried herbs. I have used the ready one, but one can definitely make it at home. The mixture can be made by mixing dried herbs such as oregano, parsley, basil, and rosemary. If you do not like mixed herbs, simply use oregano. One can use chili flakes or black pepper as well. I have skipped both.
Then whole wheat flour, milk, water, salt, yeast, garlic, and butter is used to make the dough. Yes, garlic is in the dough as well and this is what gives the taste to the dough.
I have used a combination of Mozzarella and Extra mature cheddar cheese. One can use either or.
Lastly, the main ingredient that makes this Dominos Style garlic breadsticks crispy is maize flour or Makki ka atta. It is not used in the dough, but the base is rolled using flour. I.e. While rolling you use the maize flour or dust the maize flour on the top. I would advise using the maize flour while rolling or patting it down, as that would incorporate the maize flour into the dough instead of just dusting and making the breadsticks crispy.
Recipe process of Dominos Style garlic breadsticks
As usual, the dough for the breadsticks is made. The dough is made using whole wheat flour, milk, water, salt, yeast, garlic, and melted butter. It is allowed to rest for 1-1.5 hours until doubled in size.
Next, the dough is divided into equal size portions and at this stage, I like to give the dough a further rest of 30 minutes. In the meantime, grease the baking tray with a good amount of butter. Sprinkle it with some dried mixed herbs. Get the garlic, butter, and mixed herbs mixture ready in a bowl.
After 30 minutes, sprinkle some maize flour on a clean kitchen top. Take one portion of dough and roll or pat the dough with the help of your fingers into a circle. Then prick it with a fork or a knife. Brush the inside with a mixture of melted butter, garlic, and herbs. If you are making cheese-stuffed garlic bread, cheese is added to half of the rolled dough. One can sprinkle some extra herbs on top.
Now the other half is pulled on top and the edges are sealed. Again a good generous brushing of melted butter, herbs, and garlic mixture is applied. Let this sit again for 10-15 minutes until you get your oven preheated.
Preheat the oven and bake it in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown all over and the bread is baked. Serve it hot as is or with some ketchup on the side.
Substitutions for Whole Wheat flour
One can use plain flour/ all-purpose flour/maida or wholemeal flour instead of whole wheat flour. The texture of the breadsticks would change depending on the flour used.
As it uses butter and milk this is not vegan. However, vegans can use olive oil instead of butter and replace the milk with soy milk.
Can this bread be kept in the fridge?
Generally, this is eaten fresh and hot. However, you might have leftovers if at all. Just let the bread cool completely and keep it covered in the fridge. When required heat in the microwave or on a stovetop.
Can this bread be frozen?
One can freeze it too. When required heat in the microwave or on a stovetop straight from the Freezer. It should stay good for 1 month or so, however as it has cheese I have not stored it in the freezer.
Filling ideas for stuffed garlic breadsticks.
- Cheese can be filled inside to make cheese garlic breadsticks
- Corn and cheese can be added
- Corn and any green veggie can be added
- A combination of veggies like pepper, corn, etc can be added.
- Non-vegetarians can add chicken or pepperoni.
Inside Texture of Dominos Style Cheese Garlic Breadsticks
Dominos Style Garlic Breadsticks
- Stand Mixer – Optional
For the dough
- 4 Cups – 600 grams Whole Wheat flour
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh grated garlic -One can add a bit more
- 1 tablespoon of Mixed Herbs
- Salt to taste
- 1-1.5 cups of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoon melted butter at room temperature
For the yeast mixture
- 7 grams of Active dry yeast or Instant Yeast
- 1 cup of lukewarm milk
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
For making the butter herbs, and garlic mixture
- 1/2 cup melted butter – more if required
- 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs
- 4 tablespoons of fresh garlic grated
- 4-5 tablespoons of Maize flour
- Extra herbs for sprinkling on top
- Extra butter for greasing the oven tray and if required more for the dough
Activating the yeast mixture
- In a bowl add in the active dry yeast, lukewarm milk, and sugar.7 grams of Active dry yeast or Instant Yeast, 1 cup of lukewarm milk, 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Give it a nice mix.
- Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Making of the dough.
- In a large bowl or a bowl of your stand mixer, sift the flour.4 Cups – 600 grams Whole Wheat flour
- Add in the salt, mixed herbs and garlic.1.5 tablespoons fresh grated garlic, 1 tablespoon of Mixed Herbs, Salt to taste
- Give it a nice mix.
- Once the yeast mixture is proved add it in and mix.
- Now slowly add in the water little by little and make the dough.1-1.5 cups of lukewarm water
- I had to add 1.5 cups of water, however, you might need a little less or more. So after the first 1 cup go slow on water.
- Next, add in the butter and knead it with your hand or in your stand mixer.2 tablespoon melted butter at room temperature
- When kneading in a stand mixer, first start on slow and slowly increase the speed.
- Knead the dough until it is nice and elastic. With a stand mixer, it should take around 4-5 minutes.
- With your hand, it should take around 8-10 minutes.
- Once the dough is smooth and elastic, shape it into a round ball.
- Let it rest in a greased bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a muslin cloth or cling film.
- Let it proof for 1-1.5 hours until doubled.
- Once the dough is doubled, punch it and knead it again for a minute.
- Divide the dough into equal size portions. (I divided into 4)
- Form into a round ball shape and let it rest again for 30 minutes.
Making of the Spread or the butter herb and garlic mixture
- In a small bowl, add grated garlic, melted butter, and herbs.1/2 cup melted butter, 4 tablespoons of fresh garlic grated, 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs
- Give it a nice mix and keep it aside.
- After 30 minutes, Grease the baking tray with butter and sprinkle some herbs on it.Extra butter for greasing the oven tray and if required more for the dough
Making of garlic breadsticks
- On a clean working, surface sprinkle some maize flour.4-5 tablespoons of Maize flour
- Take one portion of dough and start patting it with hand or using a rolling pin
- Make a circular disk roughly around 10-12 inches in diameter
- Spread the garlic, cheese, and herb mixture on the rolled dough
- If using cheese or veggies, fill one-half of the rolled dough.
- Gently pick up the other half and pull it over the stuffed side.
- Seal the edges gently.
- Transfer this to the greased baking sheet.
- Make rectangular cuts on the bread. One need not cut it full, just a cut is fine.
- Now spread some garlic, butter, and herb mixture on top.
- If required, sprinkle more with dried herbs.Extra herbs for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 200 Deg C.
- Once the oven is preheated, bake the garlic bread sticks in a preheated oven at 200 Deg C for 7 minutes.
- Now reduce the temperature to 180 Deg C and bake more for 10-12 minutes, until it is golden brown and the bread is done.
- Once done, let it sit for 5 minutes and then serve.
- Standard US Size cups are used
- Oven temperatures vary. After 15 minutes of baking do keep a close eye.
- Read above for flour and vegan substitutions.
- The same dough can be used to make pizza
- One can use any type of baking tray.
Sharing this with
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.