Milk Powder Chocolate Ladoo is a delicious treat made using milk powder, chocolate and sugar. These ladoos or modak or barfi are so quick to make that you can make a batch in as easy as 30 minutes from start to finish.
It is the time of the year again when we are in full swing of festive preparations for our family as well as to give gifts to our friends and extended family. With everyone getting busier day by day we tend to look for easy but tasty options. Sometimes we are in the last-minute rush and need some quick ideas. This Chocolate Ladoo is one such treat.
I made these Milk powder chocolate treats in the shape of Modak and ladoo to offer to Lord Ganesha during Ganpati. Took some pics so that I could share the recipe during Diwali and here I go.
I have made 4-5 different types of ladoo and modak made like Rasamalai Ladoo, Pan Ladoo, Rose Modak and this Chocolate Modak.
Review of Chocolate Ladoo/Modak
This Chocolate modak was a hit with all the kids and especially my daughter. She does not like Indian Sweets much or is a very fussy eater. I have even added some almonds in this which is a complete no to her. But she enjoyed it and told me I know mumma you have added nuts in it, but I like it. So you know that they are delicious and I am planning to make a batch of this for the upcoming Diwali and share them with my friends too.
Different flavours in Ladoo
One can completely skip the chocolate flavour in this and make it as simple Malai Ladoo.
You can add a bit of saffron, cardamom powder, kewra water (rose water) and pistachio to this to get that unique rasmalai flavour.
One can add 2 tablespoons of Rose syrup to get rose flavoured ladoo. I simply added rooh afza to get that flavour.
There are many possibilities to this. One can add flavours as per preference.
Substitutions for Milk powder
Traditionally this ladoo is made using Mawa. I do not get mawa here, so I made mawa using milk powder. But if you have access to mawa you can replace the butter and milk powder with mawa in this recipe.
Making of Mawa from Milk Powder
The first step is to make the mawa using milk powder. I am using this variety of Milk powder. For this I melt some butter in a pan. To this I add fresh cream and milk. Let it come to a boil and then I add milk powder to this. This mixture needs to be cooked until it leaves the edges of the pan. It should take around 10 minutes for 1 cup of milk powder. Mawa is ready.
Recipe process of Milk Powder Chocolate Ladoo
Once the mawa is ready I add the cocoa powder, sugar, nuts and mix everything. Cook it on low heat just until everything is combined. As the mawa is already done it will not take long.
Once done, remove everything in a plate or a bowl. Let the mixture cool down completely. You are ready to shape it in ladoo or modak. Take a portion of the mixture and roll in between your palms to form balls or the shape you desire.
Arrange them on a plate and let them cool down completely. One can garnish the ladoos with nuts or silver varq (edible silver leaf)
Do not overcook or else it will be chewy. Also if it is not cooked thoroughly you would not be able to form the ladoos. So you need to be careful when to stop.
If you are unable to shape them, cook them again in the pan for 1-2 minutes. Let it cool down and shape them.
Shelf life of ladoos
This stays good for a week in the refrigerator however they are best consumed as fresh as they can.
If you are looking for such easy and quick recipes for Diwali or any festive celebrations, try this super hit Microwave Caramel Coconut peda or this Processed sugar free No-Bake Coffee Energy Bites.
This month we admins myself and Mayuri from Mayuri Jikoni’s thought to make some festive preparations for Diwali. I need to try Mayuri’s Mango & Vanilla Panna Cotta soon.
So when Preethi Prasad from Preethi’s Cuisine gave me Almonds and Milk powder as the secret ingredient I thought to make this delicious and easy Milk Powder Chocolate Ladoo. I gave her ghee and saffron and she made this addictive paneer coconut barfi.
Pin it for Later
So here goes the recipe of Easy Milk Powder Chocolate Ladoo
Easy Milk Powder Chocolate Ladoo
- 1 Cup -200 grams Milk Powder
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Cup -118 ml Milk – Can be replaced by Cream
- 1/4 Cup -60 ml Cream – Can be replaced by Milk
- ⅓ Cup – 70 grams Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon Chopped Almonds or nuts of choice
- In a heavy bottom kadai/wok add butter.2 tablespoon Butter
- Once it melts add milk and cream. Do not let the butter burn.1/2 Cup -118 ml Milk, 1/4 Cup -60 ml Cream
- Mix and let the milk and cream mixture come to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling reduce the heat to minimum, and add milk powder stirring continuously.1 Cup -200 grams Milk Powder
- Let this cook on slow, stirring continuously.
- After 8-10 minutes you will see that the mixture starts leaving the edges of kadai/wok.
- Add Sugar to Mawa
- Let this cook for a minute, the sugar will melt.
- Now add the cocoa powder and mix everything.1 tablespoon Cocoa powder, ⅓ Cup – 70 grams Sugar
- Cook it further for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add almonds or nuts and mix.2 tablespoon Chopped Almonds or nuts of choice
- Once the mixture is thickened and starts leaving the edges switch off and remove it on a plate.
- Let this cool completely.
- Now take a tablespoon of mixture in your hand and shape it into ball size.
- Garnish with cocoa powder or nuts of your choice.
- Keep refrigerated and consume within 8-15 days (warmer to colder environment)
- Standard US Size Cups used
- One can shape it into any desired form.
- Do not overcook or else it will be chewy. Also if it is not cooked thoroughly you would not be able to form the ladoos. So you need to be careful when to stop.
- If you are unable to shape them, cook them again in the pan for 1-2 minutes. Let it cool down and shape them.
- Different flavorings can be used, read above for options.
- Milk powder can be substituted with mawa, read above for substitutions.
- Milk or Cream can be substituted for each other.
Thursday 18th of November 2021
Getting mawa is real rare here as well. So such hacks are perfect. I like the step by step here as it visually shows what stage to stop cooking the milkpowder mix. I ma sure this was a loved recipe for your kids. I am sure mine will like them too.
Tuesday 16th of November 2021
I also make similar milk powder chocolate modak. Your chocolaye ladoos look absolutely delectable with an easy to follow recipe. Perfect festive treat !
Tuesday 16th of November 2021
Easy and tasty ladoo to make anytime. Liked the different versions you have mentioned, will add almonds and raisins to it.
Tuesday 16th of November 2021
This is such an easy recipe and I am sure my kids would love these chocolate ladoos. I am going to try it.
Monday 15th of November 2021
These chocolate ladoo's looks very tempting. Easy method to prepare when mawa is not available. No doubt these ladoo's will disappear in jiffy.