Fudgy Chocolate Apple brownies are a fudgy, moist and delicious fall treat loaded with apples and some chocolate.
The slightly sweet and tart taste of the apple compliments well with dark chocolate. These brownies go well with a hot cup of milk or coffee. So they are good as an after-school evening snack or some mini treats.
Brownies are generally dense as opposed to a sponge cake. Brownies will have little or none of the rising agents. Secondly, brownies generally have more fat content which gives them a fudgier and a cakey texture.
Table of contents
Ingredients used in the brownie
This Fudgy Chocolate apple brownie uses green apples, whole wheat flour, unsalted butter, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, walnut, salt and baking powder.
Type of apple used?
Apple adds a nice softness as well as taste to any bake. As you all might be aware that applesauce is a good substitute for eggs in baking. I am using the green variety of apples here and I highly recommend that, but if you cannot source it you can use red too.
Can butter be replaced with oil?
One can replace the butter with oil in a brownie. If you replace it with the same quantity of oil you should be good to go. However I have not tried it in this recipe, so it would be an experiment.
Type of Flour used
I have used whole wheat flour here. It is denser as compared to plain flour. One can however use plain flour/All purpose flour/maida.
If you are looking for a vegan and a gluten-free brownie, you can try this, Vegan and Gluten-Free Ragi brownie.
Recipe process of Fudgy Chocolate Apple Brownies
First, the chocolate and butter are melted either in a microwave or in a saucepan with a bowl of water below. The dry ingredients are added to another bowl.
Eggs and sugar are beaten to a creamy consistency. Finely grated apple and the cooled chocolate and butter mixture are added to this. Vanilla extract and dry ingredients are mixed along with walnuts. The mixture is all mixed just until all is combined.
The batter is poured into a prepared pan and baked for 30-35 minutes. They are completely done in 35 minutes. If you like a more fudgy texture bake it for around 30 minutes. However, do keep in mind that all ovens are different and timings may vary.
How to store brownies
It is best to keep these brownies in the fridge as it contains fresh apple and best to consume them within 4-5 days if it last that long. For storing in the fridge cool them completely. Slice them into individual pieces. Either wrap in a foil or plastic wrap or store in an air-tight container.
How to freeze homemade brownies?
They would even freeze well. For freezing again cool them completely. Slice them and freeze them in a ziplock. While enjoying just pop them in a microwave for a min and you should be fine.
Ideas for Lunch Box? Download our Free Lunch Box Plan
Pin it for Later
So here goes the recipe of Fudgy Chocolate Apple brownies
Fudgy Chocolate Apple Brownies
- 150 gm Butter
- 80 gm Dark Chocolate
- 3 Medium eggs, At Room Temperature
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Green Apples (1 Cup when finely grated) (I used green, one can use Red)
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts Crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease it lightly with butter.
- Melt butter and chocolate in microwave, in short burst of 30 seconds, until melted. Alternatively one can melt in a heat proof bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- In a separate bowl, Mix eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add in finely grated apple and mix.
- Add in the melted chocolate and butter. Add in Vanilla essence and Keep mixing. (The chocolate butter mixture should be cooled completely)
- Add the sifted cocoa powder, flour and baking powder and slowly mix everything just until combined.
- Add in the walnuts and mix with a spatula. (One can top it up with walnuts too, I added in the batter)
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes. Keep an eye after 25-30 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely, cut into squares and enjoy with a cup of milk or coffee.
This recipe was first published on 18th October 2018. Today 22nd October 2021, I am updating the contents. Recipe and the pic remains the same.
Sunday 4th of October 2020
Great recipe -the brownies turned out well. Thanks for sharing.
Renu Agrawal Dongre
Sunday 4th of October 2020
Thank you so much for your feedback Reshma. I am glad you liked it.
Sunday 18th of November 2018
This is a fabulous idea of adding apples to the brownie. I have made cakes a couple of times with apple and apple makes them quite moist and delicious. I'm sure the same may be the case with brownies
Saturday 10th of November 2018
Apples and chocolate such a lovely combination!! A warm slice of this brownie would be such a pleasure on a cold evening !!! Perfect!
Friday 9th of November 2018
apple brownies sounds great, have not yet tried this combination. Looks amazing. I wish to grab a pieces and relish. tempted a lot with these fudgy brownies.
Wednesday 7th of November 2018
Apples and chocolate is a nice combo and in brownies they taste so good together. I need to try this!