Sharing is caring!
A chocolate Brownie or a brownie is a square, baked chocolate dessert that can be chewy or cakey, depending on the density. They may include some nuts or chocolate chips or neither and can be enjoyed with a warm milk/ a cup of coffee or as a dessert along with whipped cream or Ice Cream.
Brownies freeze well, so whenever I make them, I freeze the remaining. It comes in handy when you are craving for a dessert or have some unexpected guest. Just defrost the brownies, add some chocolate syrup and serve. You can also top it up with a dollop of whipped cream or Ice cream .
I used to make brownies with all purpose flour, but nowadays I am on the lookout for healthier substitutes . I always wanted to make a ragi chocolate cake, So for this event of Baking Bloggers, where we choose to bake Brownies or Bars, I decided to make a healthier version of brownie by using a gluten free flour Ragi.
So what is Ragi. Ragi is a super grain also known as Finger Millet or Nachni in North India. The grain actually originated in Africa and has been cultivated in Uganda and Ethiopia since many years. Ragi flour is prepared by either crushing dried grains or spouting, drying and then grinding them. It is a rich source of good carbohydrates, loaded with calcium etc. Ragi helps to keep full for longer times and in turn helps for weight loss (Source google).
It can be replaced in our daily diet in the form of chapatis (flat breads) or as a porridge for breakfast, Ragi Mudde (Karnataka Speciality) or Ragi Kanji , Dosa/Pancake ( recipe coming soon), Idli’s etc. For this time I have used healthy Ragi flour in this Yum dessert.
This Ragi brownies are eggless, butter less and are gluten free. Vegan’s can replace the honey with maple syrup and enjoy. I have taken the recipe from here.
Some Other Bakes by me :
or a complete list of Cakes & Bakes on this page:
So no more talking and straight to the recipe.
Egg-Less, Butter-Less, Chocolate Ragi Brownie
- 1 Cup Ragi Flour
- 2 tbsp Flax Seeds Powder (I powdered my flax seeds in a mixer/grinder)
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 10 Cashew Nuts (Optional)
- 10 Almonds (Optional)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Honey / Maple Syrup (Vegans can use substitutions)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Ganache/Chocolate Sauce/Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Chocolate Chips
- 1 tbsp Chopped Almonds/Walnuts/Pecans
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C
- Prepare a square tin by greasing it and lining it with parchment paper.
- In the mean time, add about 2-3 tablespoon of water in the flax seed powder. Mix it and set it aside for 4-5 minute until it forms a gel like mixture. Keep it aside
- Powder the Cashews and the Almonds.
- Sift the Ragi flour, along with the Cocoa Powder and the Baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, add the Coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, Vanilla Extract and mix well.
- Add the flax gel to the wet mix and make a lump free batter.
- Add the dry ingredients along with Cashew and Almond powder, to the wet mix slowly and mix well so that all is incorporated well and there is no dry mixture left.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean but has a bit crumbs on it. Mine were done in 20 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 mins. After 10 min, lift the parchment paper or remove the brownie and let it cool on a wire rack.
- One can top it up with some melted chocolate or ganache or peanut butter.
- Serve it warm or cold with a glass of milk/coffee or with some whipped cream/ Ice Cream.
- Coconut oil can be replaced with Vegetable Oil.
- Ragi can be replaced with whole wheat flour
- Honey can be replaced with Any Sugar or Jaggery powder
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to: Baking Bloggers
Check out the Delicious Brownies and Bars baked by other bakers below:
- Black Forest Brownies by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Brownie Cake by Sneha’s Recipe
- Chocolate Butterscotch Caramel Pecan Bars by Kelli’s Kitchen
- Cream Cheese Brownies starting with a Box Mix by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Dark Magic Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Easy Salted Caramel Brownies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Egg-Less, Butter-Less, Chocolate Ragi Brownie by Cook with Renu
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Bars by Family Around the Table
- No Bake Reese’s Bars by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Oreo Cheesecake Brownie Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- Peppermint Patty Brownie Bites by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pineapple Bars by Simply Inspired Meals
- S’Mores Bars by Palatable Pastime
- Soft & Dreamy Nougat Brownies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Triangle Delights by Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.
Sharing is caring!