So starting today in BM, this week I am starting a new series of Seasonal Fruits and Veggie. I thought of combining chocolate and seasonal theme together and dish out some yummy recipes. The good thing about this theme is that it makes you think out of the box and look for recipes you never have done. First I was looking for seasonal veggies or fruits and then how I can combine it with chocolate. Over the week you will see new combinations with chocolate but I assure you they are yummy options and healthy as well.
For the first dish, I decided to combine chocolate with Sweet potato. Now my son loves my Whole Wheat Chocolate Banana pancake , that gave me the idea to replace banana with sweet potato. I followed my same recipe but instead of adding banana I added some boiled and mashed sweet potato. I added very less Jaggery as sweet potato is already more on the sweeter side and specially the ones which we get here, they are orange to Brown in colour in the inside and much sweeter. I topped it up with a dash of honey before serving.
I had told my Son its pancake but didn’t tell that main ingredient was sweet potato. My son took the first bite and he was like what is inside….I was like oh no, looks the combination is not working. I said…mmmmm…cocoa powder……he was I like this dish. I was relieved. After he ate one or two more bites I told him there is sweet potato in that, by then he was happily finishing them all with some more honey. He always eats his pancakes with chocolate sauce or spread but this time it was all honey. So I had my two wins.
So try this easy , delicious and healthy sweet potato pancakes and let me know how they turned out.
Whole Wheat Sweet Potato and Chocolate Pancakes
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 Cup Milk More or less may be required
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 Cup Boiled and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Grated Jaggery Optional, if want to reduce the sweetness
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- Butter for greasing pan
- Chocolate sauce or honey for serving Optional
- Chocolate Chips for Garnish
- Boil and mash the Sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Mix the Sweet potatoes and Jaggery so that the Jaggery is almost dissolved in Sweet potatoes.
- Add in the Wheat flour, Cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix everything.
- Add vanilla essence and slowly add milk to get a lump free batter. Consistency of the batter should not be too runny, but one should be able to spread it.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan with and grease it with butter. Pour a spoonful of batter onto the hot pan and spread it to the size and thickness as desired. If the batter is thick it becomes a little difficult to spread it out. In that case just add 1-2 spoons of batter and let it take the shape.
- Cook it on a slow until golden brown from below around 5-6 minutes. Reverse it and cook it on the other side.
- Serve it warm with honey or chocolate sauce or enjoy as is.
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
For details on entering the giveaway click here.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.