No Bake Makhana Chocolate Energy Bars or bites and a healthy and nutritious processed sugar-free snack for a quick energy boost. They are perfect for your after-workout snack or as a grab-and-go snack for kids.
These fox nuts or Lotus seed choco bites are made by using roasted makhana that is lotus seeds, nuts, and seeds. Dark chocolate is added to give that extra flavor and boost.
There is no added sugar in this recipe. The sweetness comes from dates, raisins, figs, and a little dark chocolate. So it is naturally sweet and a good snack for people who cannot consume sugar.
What is Makahana?
Makhana also known as fox nuts or lotus seeds are consumed during fasting due to their nutritional value. They are considered or believed to be low in cholesterol, and sodium and rich in proteins and other nutrients. This makes them a healthy snack to munch on.
Makhanas can be consumed in different types of recipes. One can make a snack, a curry, or a dessert from these healthy foxnuts. I like to make Makhana Bhel, No Onion No Garlic Matar Makhana Sabji, and Makhana Kheer, my all-time favorite. (Recipes coming soon.)
Recipe Process of No-Bake Makhana Chocolate Energy Bars
This Makhana Chocolate energy bite is an easy peasy no-bake recipe. The only cooking we do here is roasting makhana and nuts and melting chocolate. Rest it is the process of mixing all together and letting it set in the fridge.
I am roasting the nuts to remove the extra moisture and increase the shelf life. Makaha is also roasted for the same reason. Once roasted they are allowed to cool down and processed in a blender. Makhana is coarsely grounded or else it would be in powder form.
Ingredients used in No Bake Makhana Chocolate Energy Bars
The main ingredient in this recipe is Makhana or fox nuts or lotus seeds.
I have used cashews, pecans, walnuts, and Brazil nuts. One can use almonds, macadamia, or any other nuts of choice.
Raisins, dates, figs, and apricots are added as dry fruits for that natural sweetness. Dark chocolate is for taste, nutrition, and for kids to enjoy. Flax seeds and sesame seeds are again added to increase the nutritional content.
I shaped a few into bars and a few into an Ice Cream Tray. I did not grease the ice cream try and hence the small bites are not smooth enough.
I thought of sharing this recipe with our Shhhhh Cooking Secretly group where the theme for this month is Healthy Desserts suggested by Rafeeda from the Big Sweet Tooth. She made this delicious healthy Dry fruit and nut kheer.
I did not have a partner so my co-admin of this group Mayuri gave me secret ingredients as Dates and nuts and I made these healthy No-Bake Makhana Chocolate Energy Bars. She made this Viral recipe of Date Bark.
Few more Processesed sugar-free recipes on my blog
No Bake Makhana Chocolate Energy Bars
- 1 Cup Makhana
- ¼ Cup raisins
- 4-5 dates deseeded
- 2-3 Figs
- 5-6 apricots
- ½ Cup mixed nuts Brazil nuts, pecan, cashews, and walnuts
- 1 Cup Dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon flax seed Optional
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds Optional
- In a heavy bottom pan, on a slow to medium stove roast the makhana.1 Cup Makhana
- Roast it until it starts turning golden brown or when pressed against your finger, press gently.
- Once done remove and let it cool.
- In the same pan roast the nuts until golden brown.½ Cup mixed nuts
- Let it cool.
- Dry roast the figs, dates, and raisins.4-5 dates deseeded, 2-3 Figs, ¼ Cup raisins
- In a food processor coarsely grind the fox nuts and add them in a bowl.
- Add in the nuts, dry fruits, flax seeds and sesame seeds and grind it in intervals, so that it forms a lump-like structure.5-6 apricots, 1 teaspoon flax seed, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Add everything to the bowl.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Add the melted chocolate to the bowl.1 Cup Dark chocolate
- Combine everything.
- Round energy bites or bite-size pieces
- One can shape this into balls or bite-size pieces.
- Grease or line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the mixture to the tray and press it all over.
- Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
- Once set, cut it into the desired shape and store it in an air-tight container.
- Standard Measuring Cups and spoons used
- Read above for substitutions for nuts and seeds
Sharing this with
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.