Sugar-free Khajoor Barfi aka Dates & Nuts Roll is a healthy and delicious sweet without any form of processed sugar. All the sugar come from Khajoor and Raisins and is loaded with nuts, perfect to satisfy your sweet cravings as well for the evening mini hunger.
I am making this barfi now for the last 5-6 years. One evening a call my mom and she told me she made this Khajoor barfi. I did not pay any heed at that time, but later on, thought of making it. I googled a few recipes and came up with my own version. This is my husband’s favourite barfi and he just keeps on asking me to make this.
What goes in Sugar free Khajur Barfi
Earlier I had fixed measurements of this barfi. Now I simply play around. I add different types of nuts and dried fruits available at that time. Apricots and dried figs are not liked by everyone and in my family, no one eats them all by itself. So I simply add it to this recipe. It does add to the natural sweetness as well as they are eaten.
As said one can simply play around with this recipe. Earlier I used to add a lot of nuts, almost more than half of the ratio of Khajoor used. Now I have reduced it to 1:3 or 1:2. It helps in the proper binding of the roll as well as a bit fewer nuts and more khajoor.
I have already mentioned the benefits of khajoor in my post on Sugarless Ragi Ladoos. Nuts we are all are aware of. They are a good source of healthy fats, fibre and protein. Packed with a number of vitamins minerals and loaded with antioxidants. Though they are high in fats, limited consumption of them daily helps in weight loss and various diseases. So in all one piece of this barfi will provide you with your healthy dose.
Time & Money
Since it is loaded with nuts, it is a bit expensive. But I know you are well aware of the price they sell in the shop. They are much cheaper than that, and you know exactly what you are adding to the barfi. Secondly, they can be done easily and in no time. I know chopping nuts takes time, but in today’s time, everyone has one or the other gadget. The nuts can be easily chopped in a food processor and in that case, all it takes is just 15 mins to make the barfi, excluding the setting time in the fridge.
Few more Sweets for you
Pin it for Later –
So here goes the recipe for Sugar-free Khajoor Barfi (Dates & Nuts Roll) :
Sugar free Khajur Barfi (Dates & Nuts Roll)
- 3 Cups of deseeded Khajoor – Dates (Opt for the sweeter and soft variety )
- 1/4 Cup desiccated coconut
- 1-1.5 Cups of nuts (Almond, Cashew, Pecan Nuts, Walnuts finely chopped)
- 1/4 Cup of Raisins finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 tablespoon Poppy seeds + extra for garnish
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped green pistachio for garnish
- Remove the seeds of the Khajoor and cut it into small pieces. (without cutting should also work as they are soft)3 Cups of deseeded Khajoor
- Finely chop the remaining dry fruits.
- In a pan lightly roast the Coconut.1/4 Cup desiccated coconut
- Remove it and lightly roast all the remaining nuts one by one.1-1.5 Cups of nuts
- In a pan or Kadai, heat the ghee.1 tablespoon Ghee
- Once heated add the poppy seeds and let it crackle.
- Add Khajoor, raisins and cook it on a low flame for 5 minutes or so until the khajoor softens and becomes a lumpy mess.3 Cups of deseeded Khajoor, 1/4 Cup of Raisins finely chopped
- Add the remaining dry fruits and give it a quick mix.1-1.5 Cups of nuts
- Switch off the gas and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Now make tight cylindrical rolls or rectangular blocks of it. (Makes around 3).
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
- Once set, cut it into 1 cm pieces. Enjoy.
- I garnish my roll either with pistachio or poppy seeds.1 tablespoon Poppy seeds + extra for garnish, 1/4 Cup finely chopped green pistachio for garnish
- Spread finely chopped pistachio layer on a butter paper.
- Take on of the roll and gently swirl around or
- Grab an edge of the butter paper, and roll it over the rectangular block, so that pistachio are evenly coated.
- Turn the block upside down and repeat the process, or simply roll the cylindrical block.
- Evenly coat all the sides with pistachio.
- Repeat the same process with poppy seeds, if you want to garnish with poppy seeds.
- Roll it in cling wrap and keep in refrigerator for couple of hours until firm. (One can leave it as is, or simply wrap it in aluminium foil or butter paper)
- Once firm, cut into 1 cm pieces.
- Enjoy a healthy and sugar free dessert.
- 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- One can even use Dried Apricots, Figs, Prunes etc. Ghee is not needed, if you want you can add or just skip it.
I have posted this recipe long back, today I am updating the contents and some pics. I am sharing this with our group “Foodies_RedoingOldPost” where we would be updating our old posts with content or pics every 2 weeks. And we are on the tenth week and I am so glad that some of my fellow bloggers were there with me from start till now.
So for the Tenth week of #Foodies_RedoingOldPost_10 (18-Oct-2019), I am updating my Sugar-free Khajoor Barfi (Dates & Nuts Roll) Recipe.
Linking this with
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @Renunad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.