You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Thukpa Vegetable Noodle Soup is a hot soup made using vegetables and Noodles and has a distinct taste from a few Indian spices. It is best served on rainy or cold days.
What do you mean by Thukpa?
Wiki says, Thukpa has been described as a generic Tibetan word for any soup or stew combined with Noodles. Today I am sharing the Indian version of Thukpa aka the Vegetable Noodle Soup from the state of Sikkim.
Origin of Thukpa
Though Thukpa is a Tibetan Noodle soup originating in the eastern part of Tibet, it has its variant among the Tibetan people, Himalayan people from Nepal and the states of Sikkim, Nagaland, Assam and Arunachal pradesh in northeast India.
The Indian version of this soup is different because it has its typical spices like chilly powder and garam masala, and hence is considered more hot.
Thukpa | Vegetable Noodle Soup
As said Thukpa is a hot noodle soup. It is generally made using vegetables or chicken. The most common vegetables used in this are mushrooms, cabbage and onion. Many variations exist and one can add vegetables as per their liking.
This goes well in the cold weather of the North eastern states, however soup can be enjoyed in any season. Since Noodles are added to this soup it becomes a complete meal in itself.
Ingredients & Substitutions in Thukpa Vegetable Noodle Soup
I have used a mixture of vegetables. Green onions, green Beans, carrots, mushrooms and cabbage. One can even add broccoli, cauliflower, corn.
For spices, ginger, garlic, cumin powder, garama masala powder and red chilly sauce are used. One can replace the red chilly sauce with red chilly powder.
It does not uses any corn flour or starch for thickening. So while adding water go slow, or you would be adding more water.
Gluten-Free Version of Thukpa
For gluten-free version you would need to replace two things. First the soy sauce has to be replaced with Tamari sauce. Secondly you would need to use gluten-free noodles for this recipe. Also do check the ingredients of garam masala powder if it contains any gluten ingredients.
Please note, I have not made a gluten-free version of this recipe.
If you are using vegan Noodles, this soup would be completely Vegan soup. Many noodles are egg based so do check out the ingredients.
The Secret Ingredients & The challenge
This month we are travelling to the state of Sikkim for our group Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge. I have initially opted out of the challenge, but later on decided to give it a go. Mayuri Patel who currently manages the group Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge currently and blogs at Mayuri’s Jikoni, was kind enough to accept this and she gave me 2 secret ingredients as Red Chilly sauce and Cabbage. I am in love with her blog for her traditional Gujarathi Cuisine and recently loved her Ragi Shavige Uppitu.
At first I wanted to make the famous momos from the 2 secret ingredients given and I was all set to make it. However I was not sure if it will go well with my kids and I wanted to make something which would be enjoyed by everyone at home and at the same time filling. So I decided to go ahead with Thukpa | The Vegetable Noodle Soup.
Few More Regional recipes
So here goes the recipe of Thukpa | Vegetable Noodle Soup
Thukpa | Vegetable Noodle Soup
- 1 Cup Noodles
- 1/4 Cup Chopped green onion
- 1/4 Cup or 4 to 5 Green Beans
- 1/2 Cup Carrot Cut lengthwise
- 4-5 chopped Mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cabbage
- Spring onions for garnishing
- 2-3 chopped Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 inch chopped Ginger
- 2-3 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3-4 Cups Water (One can use Vegetable Stock)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- Boil the Noodles as per the instructions and keep it aside.1 Cup Noodles
- In a wok, add in the oil.2 tbsp Oil
- Once hot add the garlic and ginger and saute it for 30 seconds.2-3 chopped Garlic Cloves, 1/2 inch chopped Ginger
- Now add the green onion and saute until translucent.1/4 Cup Chopped green onion
- Now add the chopped carrot, cabbage and green beans.1/4 Cup or 4 to 5 Green Beans, 1/4 Cup Chopped Cabbage, 1/2 Cup Carrot Cut lengthwise
- Saute on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute for a minute.4-5 chopped Mushrooms
- Now add the cumin powder, Garam Masala Powder, Red Chilly Sauce and Soy Sauce.2-3 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce, 1/2 tsp Cumin powder, 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder, 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Add the water and let the mixture come to a boil.3-4 Cups Water
- Add in the boiled noodles and salt.Salt to taste
- One can adjust the quantity of spices as per their preference.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve.Spring onions for garnishing
- If you feel the soup is thick add more water.
- More or less can be added as per one’s liking.
- Any variety of noodles can be used here.
- Read above for Gluten-Free Versions
- Read above for Substitutions.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.