Xaxaba Diphaphata is a flatbread or stove top muffins from Botswana. This muffins are done using minimum ingredients and can be done within 30 minutes. They can be enjoyed in Breakfast, Snack or as a side to your main Course meals.
So this letter was really making me go crazy. It was really getting difficult to find a bread with X. There is no country too starting with X, so was not able to use that too. So I finally hopped on to Srivalli’s blog, who has designed this series of A-Z International flatbreads and she has already done International Flatbreads. So I simply shortlisted and followed her recipe. Reading the description on her blog, I saw that we can add vegetables like spring onion and mushrooms in this. So I modified her recipe and added some spring onions and some mashed paneer and palak mix (I was preparing another dish from this). The end result was a nice and a colorful stove top muffins or flatbread. I simply enjoyed this as is with a mix of tomato ketchup and red chilly sauce.
Xaxaba Diphaphata (Flatbread from Botswana)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour / Plain Flour / Maida
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Milk (at room temperature)
- 1/4 Cup Spring Onions Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Palak (Spinach)
- 1 tsp Oil or Butter for Shallow frying
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix everything.
- Add in the vegetables and give a quick mix.
- Add in the milk and make a semi soft dough. Remember that the vegetables will release some water, so do not make a very soft dough as it would be difficult to roll.
- Cover and let it rest for 15-30 minutes.
- After resting, roll it into a big circle or rectangle around 1 cm in thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter cut roundels .
- Alternatively one can divide the dough into equal size balls and roll each to 2 inch circles and 1 cm thick.
- Cover and shallow fry them on slow to medium using a minimum oil/butter until brown specks form on it.
- Serve it warm with your favorite spread.
Recipes in this series of A-Z International FlatBreads
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to:
Day 24- International Flat Breads – Letter X
[inlinkz_linkup id=783062 mode=1]
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.