Vegetable Barley Soup
Barley a new addition to my kitchen. Had always heard from my parents the benefits of Barley water, but never used it. So this time I bought this little wonder not knowing what I will try with this. Just checked some recipes on net and loved the idea of vegetable Barley Soup. I tweaked the original recipe in my ways and I loved the final output, healthy and filling. A complete meal in itself. So here is the recipe……….
- 1 Small Carrot cubed into small pieces
- 1/4 Cup of Green Peas
- 1 medium sized Tomato chopped
- 1/2 Cup Pearl Barley
- 2-3 Fresh green onions chopped(one can use regular too, I had that so used it)
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 8-10 button mushrooms chopped length wise
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1-2 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Oregano (one can use fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Parsley(one can use fresh)
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 Cups of Water (I used 2 cups, but then my soup was pretty thick)
- In a pot add the Olive oil.
- Once hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the Carrots and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the green peas and Mushrooms and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, Barley, Bay Leaf, Pepper, Oregano, Parsley, Salt and water. The barley will soak the water so add enough water at least 2 cups, one can add more water later depending on the consistency required.
- Let it simmer for 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender.
- Serve Hot.
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.