Vegetable Barley Soup is vegan, dairy-free and a fiber-rich one-pot meal made with healthy barley and loaded with vegetables. This soup is easy, packed with loads of color, and texture, and is a budget-friendly meal.
With just half a cup of barley and a few vegetables, one can make a huge batch, enough for 4-5 servings. The soup stays good in the fridge for 4-5 days or can freeze. This soup does not need any accompaniments and is good as is, however a side of crusty bread will do no harm.
I love to enjoy this hot soup in winters and summers. Yes, for summers, when we are on the lookout for light meals, this is perfect.
Table of contents
What is Barley?
Barely a member of the grass family. It is a major cereal grain grown in temperate climates globally. Barley has been used as animal fodder. As it has a stronger taste compared to what it is one of the basic ingredients used for the formation of beer and other alcoholic beverages. (Source google)
What is Pearl Barley?
Hulled Barley is eaten after removing the inedible fibrous outer hull. Once removed, it is called dehulled barley (pot barley or scotch barley) Pearl Barley is a bit processed. It is dehulled barley which has its outer hull removed and polished to remove some or all of the bran layer. It is the most common form of barley for human consumption. Fine barley flour is prepared from milled pearl barley. (Source Wiki). I have detailed more about barley in my post on Pearl Barley Pulao.
Recipe process of Vegetable Barley Soup
The recipe for this barley soup is quite simple. All you do is saute the onion, ginger, and garlic in a bit of oil. Then you add the veggies, barley, spices, and water. Let the mixture simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the barley is done. That’s it, a delicious and healthy meal is done in no time.
Vegetables used in Vegetable Barley Soup
I have used onions, carrots, beans, corn, mushrooms, and tomatoes. At times I add green peas. One can add Zucchini, potato, sweet potato, celery, parsnips, etc. I like to add all such veggies in my Pearl Barley and Mung Dal Khichdi as well.
Substitution for Barley
One can substitute any grain for Barley like whole-wheat kernels. Buckwheat, quinoa, faro, millet, oats, sorghum, etc. However, note that the cooking time will vary depending on what is used. For example, oats would take a lot less time to cook, in that case, you would need to cook vegetables first.
One can even use chickpeas, kidney beans, or any type of beans instead of barley.
Shelf life of Vegetable Barley Soup
This soup stays good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze Barley Soup?
I have not yet frozen soup, but this soup can be frozen. When required just defrost and use as required.
This soup is good on its own and is a complete one-pot meal. However one can pair it with some homemade crackers, garlic bread, or any kind of bread.
- Not Gluten-Free
Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1/2 Cup – 100 grams Pearl Barley
- ½ Cup Carrot cubed
- ½ Cup Corn Kernels or Green Peas
- ¼ Cup green beans
- 8-10 -60 grams – button mushrooms cut lengthwise
- 1 medium size or 1 Cup chopped Tomato
- 1 medium size or 1 Cup chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil – or any vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano one can use fresh
- 1 teaspoon of dried Parsley one can use fresh
- Salt as per taste
- 4 Cups of Water
- In a pot add the Olive oil.1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Once hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger.1 medium size or 1 Cup chopped onion, 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped, 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- Cook on medium for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, green beans and corn.½ Cup Carrot cubed, ½ Cup Corn Kernels or Green Peas, ¼ Cup green beans
- Let this cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Then add mushrooms.8-10 -60 grams – button mushrooms cut lengthwise
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.1/2 Cup – 100 grams Pearl Barley, 1 medium size or 1 Cup chopped Tomato, 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano, 1 teaspoon of dried Parsley, Salt as per taste, 4 Cups of Water
- Add barley, Bay Leaf, Black pepper powder, Oregano, Parsley, Salt and water.
- Mix everything and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Once you get a boil, let the mixture simmer on medium for 20-25 minutes until barley is done.
- Check in between, Adjust the consistency by adding more water if required.
- Serve Hot.
- Standard US Size cups used
- For different vegetable options read above
- In all the vegetables (green beans, corn and carrot) were 150 grams