Lemon Cake (No Baking Powder, No Baking Soda)
A summer party or a picnic is incomplete without some cake and what can be better than a perfect spongy, lemony yet sweet lemon cake. This cake is very light and can be assembled within 15 minutes and is a crowd pleaser.
Lemon cake is my new family favorite. I actually never made this cake earlier as I thought the tangy lemon taste might not be liked by my family, but to my surprise my whole family wants more of this. My son a hard core chocolate cake lover like me, now loves this lemon cake. And he is correct, lemon cake leaves your palate with a lovely lemony yet sweet taste, the tangy and the sweet combination is just awesome. You really need to stop yourself from eating too much. I was planning the recipes for this cookoutweek 2018, and thought to add this lemon cake to the list. After all summer too calls for some treats.
I have adapted this recipe from here. This cake is very simple and is without any baking powder or baking soda and with just a few ingredients. The original recipe calls for Self raising flour which has baking powder and salt, but I simply used All purpose flour / Maida.
The rise in this cake comes from beating the eggs properly. Rest there are just a few ingredients and all in equal proportion. The original recipe did not call for vanilla essence but I do add it as I do not like to taste and smell of egg in a cake. The real flavour comes from Lemon Zest, the outer rind of lemon (Only the yellow part, do not use the white skin or it will go bitter). Since Lemon is the key ingredient, We do drizzle the cake with a paste of lemon and sugar once baked. This cake stays fresh for 4-5 days outside (if cold) or in fridge. I have not freezed this cake, but you definitely can.
Try this cake and I am sure you are going to make this again and again.
So here goes the recipe:
- 225 gms Softened Unsalted Butter
- 225 gms Granulated Sugar (Original recipe called for Castor Sugar, I simply used Granulated)
- 225 gms All purpose Flour/Maida
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of Pure Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for the Drizzle
- Juice of 1.5 lemons
- 85 gm of Granulated Sugar (or Castor sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 170C (fan assisted)/180 C normal.
- Prepare a loaf tin (8 x 21 cm), by greasing it or lining it with grease proof paper.
- Beat Together Softened Unsalted Butter and sugar until pale and creamy (3-5 mins).
- Then add eggs one at a time and slowly mixing through after each addition.
- Sift in the flour, finely grated lemon zest, Vanilla Essence and mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and level with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking prepare a mix of lemon juice and sugar. Give it a nice mix so that all the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and keep it on a wire rack.
- Immediately poke holes with a toothpick or a skewer.
- Drizzle the mixture of lemon juice and sugar, while the cake is still hot.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Once Cooled, Dust it with some icing sugar, if required, Cut and Serve.
Some more summer food:
2 Ingredients Mango Yogurt Smoothie
2 Ingredients Strawberry Milkshake
Chocolate Oreo Milkshake
Oats Plum Banana MilkShake
Mix Fruit Juice (Plum | Orange | Kiwi)
Paneer Tikka (Indian Style Grilled Cottage Cheese & Vegetables)
Sending This To:
#CookoutWeek 2018 is here! During the next week, I am joining over 50 of my blogger friends to celebrate summer by posting delicious cookout-themed recipes. If you love grilling, frozen treats, picnics, berries, s’mores, campfire meals, and other summer goodies… you are in the right place!
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons below to share this recipe.