Eggless Lemon Tutti frutti cake is a soft and spongy cake loaded with tutti frutti (mixed fruit peels) and bursting with lemon flavor. The cake is made using whole wheat flour and uses brown sugar instead of regular white sugar.
Light Fruit Cake
This tutti fruity cake is a light mixed peel tea time cake. It needs no frosting and goes well with a cup of coffee. I can say that this would also be best to serve for your Christmas or New Year Parties, though it can be relished anytime.
Tutti frutti has been on my mind for long. I remember the sweet fruit bread which we used to eat once every few months as a treat when I was a kid. And after my Karachi biscuits which I baked last year, this was on my to-do for long.
Can this be baked in a cooker?
I got the idea of adding lemon to my cake after I baked this delicious, Eggless Lemon Drizzle cake. So instead of making vanilla flavor tutti frutti cake I made it lemon flavor but with no drizzle of lemon. This too can be done in a pressure cooker. One can follow the same instructions as mentioned in this Eggless Chocolate Cooker Cake.
And if you are looking for a quick lemon cake version, without any leavening agents, that is without baking powder and baking soda then this Lemon Cake (without baking powder, and baking soda) is the right fit. It is a simple and moist 6 ingredient lemon cake that turns out super yum and delicious.
Today’s Recipe process
So coming to today’s recipe. The process of making this cake is simple. Few points to consider are that first coat the tutti frutti mix with a tablespoon of flour. This helps in them not sinking in the bottom of the pan and distributing evenly in the pan.
Next, Lemon can be skipped completely to make it vanilla flavor. However, you would need to replace the lemon juice with vinegar as the cake is eggless and needs to act along with the leavening agents. Lemon can be replaced with orange if you are looking for a different flavor.
The next question is why my cake is not white as generally, you see all the tutti frutti cakes. First, because I have used whole wheat flour and secondly I have used Dark Brown Sugar instead of the white. Dark brown sugar available here is like cane sugar, which imparts a dark color to the bakes instead of the regular white.
The remaining process is really simple. Sift the dry ingredients in one bowl. Add in the wet in another bowl. Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix everything until combined. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. I have used a 6-inch bundt pan here as I wanted to shape it that way. One can however use a 6-inch round or a square 6-inch baking tin too. Keep in mind changing the tin size will vary the baking time.
Before I head on to the recipe, I am sharing this with our Foodie Monday group where we are celebrating a milestone theme. i.e. we are on the #250 theme and we all decided to bake a celebration cake or celebrate with cake. I am eagerly waiting for what different cakes others are making too. To find them follow me on Facebook as we would be sharing all the recipes there.
Here is the recipe for Eggless Whole Wheat Lemon Tutti Frutti Cake:
Eggless Whole Wheat Lemon Tutti Frutti Cake
- Baking Tin/Pan
- 1 Cup 160 grams Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup 100 grams Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup oil
- ½ Cup Lukewarm Water
- ½ tbsp Lemon juice (or Vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest (or Vanilla Extract)
- ½ Cup Mixed Peels/ Tutti Frutti
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C/ 400 Deg F.
- Grease a 6 inch Bundt Pan/Round Tin/ Square Tin with oil.
- Lighlty dust it with flour and shake off the excess
- In a small bowl, add in 1 tablespoon of flour and mixed peels.
- Coat the peels evenly with the flour mix.
- In a separate wide bowl sift in the dry ingredients. That is Whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the dark brown sugar to the dry mix. Making sure that it is lump-free.
- Add the mixed peels to the dry ingredients ad give it a nice mix.
- Now add the lemon zest and mix it again.
- Now in a separate bowl add in lukewarm water, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and mix everything until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter in the prepared baking tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan, before removing and cutting.
- 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tbsp= 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- Granulated Sugar can be used in place of brown sugar.
- All-purpose Flour /Plain Flour/Maida can be used in place of whole wheat flour If you are using a wide size pan, baking time will reduce.
- One can use a loaf tin. Lemon can be replaced with Orange.
- Lemon can be skipped completely to make it vanilla flavor. However, Lemon Juice needs to be replaced with Vinegar.
- Baking time varies and depends on your oven. Keep a close watch on the cake after 25 minutes.
- I might reduce the sugar next time to 75 grams, as I found it a bit sweeter
Linking this with
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.