Air Fryer Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley are a healthy and quick after-school snack, finger food, or an addictive appetizer for all ages. These Baked Potato and Oats patties are crisp on the outside with a melt-in-the-mouth and soft texture inside.
Patty or Burger Bun
Easy to make these vegan smileys or tikki or patties can be used as a patty for a burger bun or crumble and add them in a wrap, to make a filling meal. They can simply be enjoyed as is with a cuppa or with some chutney or tomato ketchup on the side.
This has been now one of my go-to snacks for my son and me. When I made it first I used my leftover boiled potatoes and sweet potatoes. I was doubtful my son would eat it. But to my surprise, he loved them and asked me to make them again. So now this is the new snack on the list. I even make a few extra and store them in the freezer. When needed I just air fry them and a healthy snack is ready.
I am not calling this an Instant snack as a little prep work is required. As in you would need some boiled/baked/roasted sweet potatoes or potatoes in hand. But I would say if you have leftovers they are a great fit in this recipe. So when you have leftover sweet potatoes, and you do not know how to use them, this is one of the healthiest recipes to try.
Ingredients used in the Air fryer Baked Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley
The first main ingredient used is Sweet Potatoes. One can use white potatoes too or a combination of white and sweet potatoes. One needs to boil/bake/roast the potatoes. If you want to check how to bake sweet potatoes in an air fryer check out this post of mine.
The second main ingredient used is Oats. Oats are added for binding and as a source of protein. If you are using porridge oats or oatmeal or oat flour they can be added as is. If you are using steel cut or old-fashioned, slightly crush them in a blender.
The next few ingredients are flavorings and spices. I have added coriander, fresh ginger, green chili, garam masala, and salt. Skip the green chili for toddlers and babies and if your child does not like it.
One can add cumin powder, smoked paprika, garlic granules, ginger powder, red chili powder, and fresh garlic.
Process of making Air fryer baked Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley
The first step in the recipe is baking/boiling or roasting the sweet potatoes. One can boil them in an Instant pot, pressure cooker, or open pot. Baking or roasting can be done in an Air-Fryer or an oven.
The next step is to combine all the ingredients and shape them. One can shape them as normal patties or make smileys from them. Kids love shapes in food and they would love to eat them.
Shaping into a smiley face is easy. We do not need any special equipment for that. Check out my video on how to do the same here.
Air Frying or Baking in an oven or Shallow Fry in a pan
One can air fry these patties or bake them in an oven or shallow fry them. Refer recipe card for air frying or baking. For shallow frying, simply add some oil to a pan and shallow fry on both sides.
Can this be frozen?
Yes, the smiley can be frozen. I always make a big batch and store it in the freezer. When required just air fry or bake them.
This Air Fryer Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley are Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Nut-Free. Do check sources and use gluten-free and organic oats for 100 percent gluten-free products. Do check the ingredient list of Garam masala for any intolerance.
Few more Kid friendly recipes
Air Fryer Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley
- 1.5 Cups 400 grams of Boiled Sweet potato (Can be replaced with potatoes or a mix of potatoes and sweet potatoes.)
- ½ Cup 75 grams grated carrot
- 1-1.5 Cups 125-175 grams Oats – coarsely grind
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated or ginger paste
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 1-2 Chopped green chili Optional
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder Optional
- Salt to taste
- Oil – only for brushing the smiles and the air fryer basket
- Boil/Bake/Broil the sweet potatoes.1.5 Cups 400 grams of Boiled Sweet potato
- Grind the oats roughly if you are using steel-cut oats or old-fashioned oats.1-1.5 Cups 125-175 grams Oats – coarsely grind
Making of the Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley/tikki/patties
- Once the sweet potatoes cool down, grate or mash them in a large bowl.1.5 Cups 400 grams of Boiled Sweet potato
- Add grated carrot, ground oats, ginger, coriander, green chili, garam masala powder, and salt.½ Cup 75 grams grated carrot, 1-1.5 Cups 125-175 grams Oats – coarsely grind, 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated or ginger paste, ½ cup chopped coriander, 1-2 Chopped green chili, 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder, Salt to taste
- First, add 1 cup of oats.
- If the mixture is on the wet side add more oats.
- Add green chili and red chili powder if using.
- Mix everything.
- Take around 2 tablespoons of mixture into your hand.
- Shape them round or as desired.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes. Optional Step, But I recommend doing it.
Shaping smiley faces – Optional (Check my video on how to shape them)
- Using a straw or a clean back side of a pen or pencil, make holes to shape the eyes.
- Use a small teaspoon to shape the face.
Baking of Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato and Oats Smiley
- Preheat the air-fryer to 180 Deg C / 356 Deg F. In my air fryer, it takes 4 mins.
- Lightly brush or spray the air fryer basket.Oil – only for brushing the smiles and the air fryer basket
- Arrange the smileys in the air fryer.
- Lightly brush them with oil.
- Bake them in a preheated air-fryer at 180 Deg C / 356 Deg F for 10 mins.
- Flip and bake again for 5 mins.
- Flip and check if they are done, if not bake again in intervals of 1-2 minutes until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with some tomato ketchup or Mayo or enjoy as is.
Baking in an oven
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C / 356 Deg F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or brush or spray the tray with oil.
- Arrange the smileys on the tray
- Lightly brush the top with oil.
- Bake them in an oven at 180 Deg C / 356 Deg F for 10 mins.
- Flip and bake again for 10 mins.
- Check if they are done, if not bake them in intervals of 2-3 minutes and check.
- They are done when they are golden brown on both sides.
- 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tbsp= 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- Baking time may vary depending on your air fryer basket size.
- If you make them thin, they would bake fast.
Sharing this with
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.