Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potatoes are a delicious side recipe, crisp on the outside and soft and buttery on the inside. They do not need any oil to bake or roast and can be enjoyed as is.
Time required to bake sweet potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes are easy and quick to make and use much less energy and time than your conventional oven. In an air fryer, they are done in 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potatoes and your air fryer.
Baking whole sweet potatoes is fun. I have loved them since I was a kid. My dad used to roast them in a small oven and we used to have them for our breakfast at times. I still do it, but I enjoy it as a side or for lunch.
At times I like to make a chaat from it. It is called Shakarkandi chaat. It is a baked sweet potato with a good lemon and chaat masala drizzle. OMG, I want it now 🙂
Sweet Potato Recipes
I also like to make these Sweet potato fries. An excellent way to enjoy some instead of the usual potato fries. Not that I am saying that Air Fryer baked potato fries are bad, but just a good replacement.
At times I simply grill it on a grill pan or on the barbeque and drizzle some peri spice powder to make this Peri-Peri Grilled Sweet Potato
Super easy to make. And you do not need any more ingredients apart from Sweet Potatoes. Yes, you might add some seasoning, like salt and herbs, but that is completely optional. Yes, I do enjoy my sweet potatoes on their own without anything added at times.
You can even mix this along with different vegetables to make this Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables (Oven Method Included). They are a wonderful side for your parties.
Oil-Free Baked Sweet Potatoes
I have not even drizzled it with oil before baking. It is not needed, as when sweet potatoes bake it releases their natural juices to keep them moist.
No air Fryer, bake in an oven
One can make this in an oven too. Yes before my Air Fryer purchase, I used to do that. It is just that in an Air Fryer you can do those small quantities quicker and you do not need to heat up the big oven.
How to bake in an air fryer or an oven
- First, wash and rinse the sweet potatoes well. Get rid of any impurities. Pat them dry.
- Second, prick them all with the help of a fork or a knife all over. This helps in even cooking the potatoes and also prevents bursting and cooking faster.
- Bake it for 35-45 minutes until done. They are done when you insert a fork or knife and it pierces inside without resistance.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes as they would be super hot.
- Cut them in the middle or peel them. The skin comes off easily.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings (Read below for options)
- That’s it you have your Baked or Roasted Sweet potato Ready.
Toppings for Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potatoes
- No toppings – To be honest you do not need anything with it. They have a natural sweetness and they are good as is.
- Salt and pepper
- Salt, Lemon Juice and Chaat Masala
- Butter and herbs like rosemary, thyme, etc.
- Butter and chili powder or paprika powder
How to Serve Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
Air Fryer Sweet potatoes can be served
- As a Side dish
- Stuffed with something else
- The flesh can be mashed up and used in different recipes like Sweet potato waffles, Sweet potato pancakes, Sweet potato patties or parathas, or anything you like.
The leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in a clean airtight container.
How to reheat
- One can reheat it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes
- In the air fryer at 180 Deg C or 356 Deg F for 4-5 minutes
- On the stovetop until warm. For this, you would need to use the double boiler method.
- In a preheated oven at 180 Deg C or 356 Deg F for 10-15 minutes.
Pin it for later
Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Oven – Either of them
- 2 Sweet potatoes Depending on Air Fryer Size
- Wash and rinse the sweet potatoes well. Get rid of any impurities.
- Pat them dry.
- Prick them with the help of a fork or a knife all over.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 Deg C / 356 Deg F for 4 minutes.
- Bake it for 35-45 minutes until done.
- Check if they are done by inserting a fork or a knife.
- If you feel resistance while inserting a fork or a knife, bake them more in 4-5 mins intervals.
- Sweet potatoes are fully baked when you insert a fork or knife and it pierces inside without any resistance.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut them in the middle or peel them.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings (Read above for options)
- Baking time may vary depending on your Air Fryer Size and quantity.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.