Have you ever tried grilled or barbequed sweet potatoes? If not try this Peri-Peri Grilled Sweet Potato. They are simple, easy, and delicious vegan appetizers or sides perfect for the grill.
These grilled sweet potato slices are the perfect party appetizers. With the perfect balance of sweetness from potatoes and hot and spicy flavors from the peri-peri masala, they are the star of any vegetarian barbeque party.
How can sweet potatoes be grilled or baked?
Whole grilled sweet potatoes can be used to make simple salads along with some lemon juice and chaat masala. One can bake them whole and simply top them up with some butter and herbs.
Recipe process of Peri-Peri Grilled Sweet Potato
These sweet potatoes are very quick to make, all you do is peel and cut the potatoes. Rub it with some peri-peri spice mix along with some oil and let it marinate for 15-30 minutes. Then you grill them over a barbeque or a stovetop or simply bake them in an oven.
In today’s recipe of Peri-Peri Grilled sweet potatoes, I have cut the sweet potatoes into round slices. One can them lengthwise or even into wedges. One just needs to take care when you put the slices or wedges on the grill as they might fall off.
How to enjoy Peri-Peri Grilled Sweet Potatoes?
- Enjoy them as is straight hot from the grill.
- Dip it in one of your favorite dips like with this, Cucumber Dill Tzatziki or this Nasturtium Blossoms Avocado Guacamole
- A simple dressing of lime along with herbs like coriander, cilantro, or parsley
- Top it up with some salads or coleslaw.
This is a vegan and dairy-free recipe. For gluten-free do check the ingredients of the peri-peri spice mix. Some ingredients might not be gluten-free.
Pin it for later
Peri-Peri Grilled Sweet Potato
- Grill pan
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 teaspoon Peri-Peri spice mix – Can add as per taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil – Any vegetable oil can be used
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into round or long slices.1 Large Sweet Potato
- Rinse them and pat it dry.
- In a bowl add the slices.
- Add olive oil, salt and peri-peri spice mix.1 teaspoon Peri-Peri spice mix, Salt to taste, 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Rub the mixture nicely onto each of the slices.
- Let it mariante for 15-30 minutes. If you have time you can marinate more or even overnight in fridge is best.
- The spice mix after marination will release some water.
- On a hot grill or on a hot grilled pan, place the sweet potato slices.
- Cook the under-side for 5-6 minutes.
- Flip and cook the other side until done.
- Serve it as is or with your favourite dip.
- Standard US size cups and spoons used
Linking this with
Sunday Funday, where the theme this week is Vegetarian Barbecue Recipes suggested by myself. Do check what my friends have cooked for this theme
- Peri-Peri Grilled Sweet Potato from Cook with Renu
- Grilled Bean and Cheese Quesadillas from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan Coney Dogs from Palatable Pastime
- Margherita Portabella Caps from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- BBQ Whole Cauliflower Tikka from Sneha’s Recipe
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.