Layered berries and nuts with a creamy Amaranth yogurt mixture is a perfectly healthy way to start your day. This Amaranth Blackberry Yogurt Parfait can be done in as quickly as ten minutes and can be served as breakfast, or dessert or can even be enjoyed as a meal on its own.
What is Amaranth?
Amaranth also known as rajgira is one of the foods consumed during Indian fasts, vrat, or upvas days like Navratri or Ekadashi. This Amaranth berry Yogurt Parfait is one of the recipes that you can thoroughly enjoy on your fasting days.
Amaranth is an ancient grain and is a good protein source for vegetarians. It has loads of health benefits associated with it. Together with yogurt and blackberries, this Amaranth Blackberry Yogurt Parfait becomes a protein, probiotic, and fiber-rich filling breakfast.
How to Pop Amaranth?
This is a no-cook recipe, except for the popped amaranth used. One can buy popped amaranth or make a batch of it and keep it aside. Check my post here on how to pop Amaranth.
Indian Fasting recipes
Did you check our most popular fasting recipe Samak Rice Khichdi | Vrat ke Chawal | Farali Khichdi and my complete collection of fasting recipes here.
Ingredients used in Amaranth Blackberry Yogurt Parfait
Amarnath – I have popped the amaranth grain and used it. One can easily pop it at home. Check my post here on how to pop Amaranth.
Yogurt – I am using my homemade yogurt here. Check here on how to make Yogurt at home in Instant Pot. One can use Greek yogurt or plant-based yogurt like soya or coconut to make it Vegan.
Blackberries – My fresh blackberry harvest goes into this healthy parfait. One can replace it with any berries or any fruit like banana, avocado, pear, etc.
Nuts and seeds – This is optional, but I like a bit of crunch. One can skip it completely. I have used a mixture of almonds and pine nuts with some sunflower seeds.
Honey or Maple Syrup – Again this is optional. If you like to add a little sweet taste one can add a bit of sweetener to the parfait, or just skip it completely.
This parfait is completely gluten-free as Amaranth or Rajgira grain is naturally gluten-free. I have used normal non-vegan yogurt here, but to make it vegan one can use coconut yogurt or plant-based yogurt too.
Amaranth Blackberry Yogurt Parfait
- 4 tablespoon Popped Amaranth
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- ¼ Cup Blackberries or any fruit of choice
- 1 tablespoon Nuts and Seeds mix
- 1 tablespoon Honey/Maple Syrup
- In a bowl add the popped amaranth and yogurt.4 tablespoon Popped Amaranth, 1 Cup Yogurt
- Give it a mix and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. (The more the better, one can do overnight too)
- This allows the amaranth to hydrate.
- In another bowl lightly crush the berries or fruit.¼ Cup Blackberries or any fruit of choice
- Crush or chop the nuts and keep it aside.
- In a serving glass or bowl add in ⅓ of the yogurt amaranth mixture.
- Top it up with ⅓ of the berries
- Layer it with ⅓ of the chopped nuts.1 tablespoon Nuts and Seeds mix
- Repeat the above until you have the glass or the bowl full or as much desired.
- Drizzle honey/maple syrup.1 tablespoon Honey/Maple Syrup
- Measurements are rough guidelines. One can change as per requirement.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.