Samak Rice Khichdi or Vrat ke Chawal or Farali Khichdi is a quick and easy recipe that uses the gluten-free millet Samak Rice or Barnyard Millet. A good replacement for rice and a quick, easy and healthy meal idea.
Samak Rice is used to prepare Khichdi or Pulav and is generally consumed during festival fasting days. Since the Chaitra Navratri is going to start soon, I decided to give this Samak Rice Khichdi a try and I am glad I did. The Pulav is done within minutes and is a great source of essential nutrients required during the fasting days.
What is Samak Rice
Idli, Dhokla, Dosa, kheer are also prepared using this Samak Rice also known as “Barnyard millet”, or “Samo”, “Moriya”, “Bhagar”, “Vari cha Tandul” or “Mordhan” or “Sava ke chawal”. It is a good replacement for rice eaters and is a rich source of minerals and vitamins, providing essential nutrients. Since it is high in digestible fibres it becomes a healthy replacement for rice.
Simple or Masala Khichdi
This Samak Rice Khichdi turns out to be a light and healthy meal. I made this very simple by just adding some peanuts and potatoes, but one can add any type of vegetables one prefers. To add some additional crunch as well as to add some good fat content during fasting days I added some cashews as well.
I have made this khichdi less spicy. As at the end of a fasting day I need a light dinner. Also whenever I make such healthy meals, I go easy on the spice. All I did was added some green chillies and ginger. One can add red chilli or black pepper if you want more spicy.
Water content in Samak Rice Khichdi
Samak Rice absorbs a lot of water and you will be amazed how quickly it gets done. So go easy on the water. You might feel it is less but do not go overboard or else you might have a soggy khichdi.
Accompaniments to Samak Rice Khichdi
One can enjoy this with a simple achar or yoghurt. This Farali Peanut, Sesame and Curd Chutney will go well with this khichdi or even this, Rajgira Kadhi which is another good fasting recipe. I enjoy it with yoghurt and my mom’s lemon pickle which is oil-free and good on the tummy. The addition of the pickle really lifted the taste of the Khichdi and I enjoyed this Samak Rice Khichdi to the core. One can have some delicious sabudana or aloo papad on the sides too.
Few more fasting/vrat recipes :
- Farali Raw Banana Kebab (Pan-Fried)
- Pumpkin Sweet Potato and Amaranth Patties
- Sabudana Vada
- Sabudana Pancake or Sabudana Fritters
- Buckwheat(Kuttu) Groat(Grain) PanCake
- Singdana (Peanut) Raita\dip
- Khajoor (Dates) Dry Fruit Barfi (Roll)
- Farali Kuttu aur Singhara ka dhokla
- Farali Singhara Paratha
- Buckwheat Sweet Potato Pancakes
Samak Rice Khichdi | Vrat ke Chawal | Farali Khichdi
- 3/4 cup Samak Rice
- 1-2 cups water **Check Notes
- 1-2 green chillies chopped (Depending on taste)
- 1//4 inch ginger chopped
- 1 small potato cubed (Boiled)
- 2 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1.5 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander to garnish
- Wash and soak the Samak Rice for at least 30 minutes.3/4 cup Samak Rice
- In a pan or a wok, add ghee.1.5 tablespoon Ghee
- Once the ghee is hot, shallow fry the peanuts until lightly golden brown.2 tablespoon peanuts
- Remove and then shallow fry the Cashews until lightly golden brown. (This step is optional, but it adds to the taste)1 tablespoon cashews
- In the same pan, add cumin seeds.1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Once it splutters add chopped ginger and saute for a minute.1//4 inch ginger chopped
- Then add the green chilly, potato and shallow fry for 1-2 minutes.1-2 green chillies chopped, 1 small potato cubed
- I used boiled potato, you can use the potato as it is. It might just take a few more minutes to be done.
- Once done, add the peanuts and Samak Rice. Give everything a quick stir.2 tablespoon peanuts, 3/4 cup Samak Rice
- Now add 2 cups of water and salt to taste. (**Check Notes for water)1-2 cups water, Salt to taste
- Let this cook on medium for 7-8 minutes mixing in between.
- Do not stir quite often and do not overcook it. It can go mushy within minutes, so do keep a close watch.
- Add half of the cashews and mix.
- Switch off and let it sit for 10 minutes for the rice to absorb all the flavours.
- Garnish with the cashews and coriander and serve with yogurt or some pickle.Coriander to garnish, 1 tablespoon cashews
- Do not overcook or else it will go soggy.
- If you want grainy and fluffy texture, just add 1 cup water.
- If you want a squishy or soft texture, add 1.5-2 Cups of water.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.