Yogurt parfait is a simple, delicious layering of yogurt, fruit, and granola. A perfect healthy start for your day that will keep you full for hours. A simple no-cook and fuss-free nutritious breakfast.
What is Parfait?
Parfait can mean 2 different types of desserts. In France, parfait refers to a frozen dessert made with a base of cream, sugar, and egg. The American version refers to layers of granola, nuts, and yogurt topped up with fruits and cream.
What is Yogurt Parfait made of?
Today I am sharing the American Version of Parfait. Yogurt parfait is a simple layering of yogurt, fresh or frozen fruits, and granola. The assembled dish sounds like a dessert and yes you can enjoy this as a dessert or as a breakfast.
For dessert one can top it up with fresh cream and maybe garnish with some additional chocolate syrup. For breakfast, it is best to keep it simple with yogurt, fruits, and granola.
Is Yogurt Parfait Healthy?
I can say my version of yogurt parfait is pretty healthy. I am not using any additional sugar in this parfait. Using my homemade Greek-Style Yogurt and homemade granola. The homemade granola has some honey in it, which is sufficient to balance the slight acid or sour taste of yogurt.
What makes this Yogurt parfait healthy
The first main ingredient Yogurt
Yogurt is considered to be a good source of proteins. Good for bones and a rich source of calcium. It is high in beneficial bacteria called probiotics and is good for your gut health.
Full-Fat or Low-fat yogurt.
I do make yogurt from full-fat milk. As I make it at home, the cream is generally removed when boiled and it is sort of a low-fat version. However, if you like, you can use low-fat yogurt for this recipe. Store brought full fat or low-fat Greek Yogurt will work for this recipe.
The second ingredient Fruits
Fruits are considered to be healthy. Excellent source of essential nutrients, and rich in fiber. They give the parfait the natural sugar it needs and add taste and texture.
The third ingredient Granola
I am using my homemade granola for this recipe. It is a simple baked mix of oats, nuts, coconut flakes, and some spices. Oats help you to keep full for longer and are considered nutrient-dense food.
Fruit choices to make Fruit Yogurt Parfait
Today I am making this with fresh alphonso mango. Alphonso mango is much sweeter and best for this recipe. One can choose any type of fruit. When I created this post, I used a combination of strawberry, mango, and cocoa powder. I even flavored the yogurt with strawberry, mango, and cocoa powder.
One can use fresh or frozen berries. They go well in parfaits. Fresh and sweet peaches would go well. Bananas and avocado would add a lot of creamier texture to the parfait. Bananas would be even sweet however not avocado. I generally do not pair pineapple or orange with yogurt.
Store-brought parfait might appear healthy, but it may have additional sugar added to it. Making parfait at home is very easy and comes within minutes.
Recipe process of parfait
The recipe is very simple. All I have is yogurt, some freshly chopped mango, a little puree of mango (optional), and my homemade granola. I start with a layer of fresh mango puree, top it with a little granola, and a generous layer of yogurt, finishing it up with some chopped mango. I repeat the layers until my bowl or glass is full. For garnish, I just add some more granola and chopped mango.
I have used chilled yogurt and room-temperature mango here. One can however refrigerate this for a couple of hours and enjoy. For breakfast, one can make this the previous night, refrigerate and consume it the next day.
Few more recipes with Yogurt
Pin it for Later:
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt or Full-Fat Yogurt
- ½ Cup Granola
- ½ cup Mango chopped or Berries or fruit of choice
- 2-3 tablespoons of Mango puree Optional
- 2 Cups Greek Yogurt -Thick Yogurt/Curd
- ¼ Cup Roughy chopped Strawberries
- ¼ Cup roughly chopped mango Mango
- 2 tablespoons of Cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of dark/milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of Finely sliced mango.
- Pinch of cardamon.
- Strawberries -Mango for garnish
- Some 7-8 choco chips for garnish.
- In a glass, or a bowl and a tablespoon of Mango puree2-3 tablespoons of Mango puree
- Top it up with 1-2 tablespoons granola.½ Cup Granola
- Add a layer of yogurt.1 Cup Greek Yogurt or Full-Fat Yogurt
- Top it up with some chopped mango.½ cup Mango chopped or Berries or fruit of choice
- Repeat the above process until the glass is almost full
- Garnish with the remaining granola and chopped mango.
- Divide the yogurt into three parts.
- Add part of the yogurt to a blender along with strawberries.2 Cups Greek Yogurt, Strawberries
- Blend it. I pureed it roughly as I wanted some strawberry pieces in between. If you do not want it to puree finely.¼ Cup Roughy chopped Strawberries
- In the remaining yogurt, add mango, and a pinch of cardamom. Puree it.¼ Cup roughly chopped mango Mango, Pinch of cardamon.
- Mix the finely sliced mango in the puree.
- In the third part blend the yogurt and cocoa.2 tablespoons of Cocoa powder
- Add the choco chips to the mixture.Some 7-8 choco chips for garnish.
- In 2 glasses, First, add the strawberry yogurt mixture.
- Next, add the mango yogurt puree which is mixed with mango slices.
- Now add a layer of cocoa yogurt mixture, along with the choco chips.
- Repeat the above until the glass is almost full.
- Garnish with mango, strawberry, and some chocolate chips.¼ Cup Roughy chopped Strawberries, 1 tablespoon of Finely sliced mango., 1 tablespoon of dark/milk chocolate chips
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours and serve.
- Standard US Size Cups and spoons used
- Any choice of fruits can be used (Read above for options)
- Store brought Full Fat or low-fat Greek Yogurt can be used. I am using my Homemade Instant Pot Yogurt.
- For the second recipe, one can add some sugar to the cocoa mixture if required.
The post was originally published on 18-Feb-2015, Today 21-Aug-2022, I am updating the post with more information. I have changed the recipe a bit too.
Sending this to:
Today I am sharing this with Foodies_RedoingOldPost_83
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Saturday 3rd of September 2022
This yogurt parfait is indeed filling and nutritious. Loved the way you have layered the parfait with granola and fresh fruits .
Friday 2nd of September 2022
Perfect dessert option for me. I have some frozen mangoes so this parfait is just what we need.
Jayashree T Rao
Wednesday 31st of August 2022
Lovely yoghurt parfait. I often used to make it during summer, a few years back when we had a lot of mangoes.
Monday 29th of August 2022
Perfect breakfast option especially during the summer season. Made mine today and topped it with fresh peaches. It is so healthy, filling and delicious.