Atte aur Gond ke ladoo or Edible Gum Whole Wheat Truffles is a traditional winter delicacy that is very healthy and provides the body with the required amount of needed calories.
What is Gond or Edible Gum
Gond or Edible gum is odourless, tasteless and a water-soluble mixture obtained from the sap of the plant and then dried. Since it is water-soluble it makes it easy to mix with a range of ingredients. The gum is considered a source of the powerhouse and is great for boosting immunity, stamina, and health.
How do you eat Edible Gum
Edible gum is fried and added to recipes. Frying helps them puff up. One can then add it as is or slightly crush them. One of the most popular uses in India is to make nourishing ladoos that are consumed by lactating women and those recovering from illness. They are mainly made in winters to provide those extra calories needed in winter and also to provide warmth to your body.
Gond ke Ladoo for New Mothers
These ladoos are believed to speed up recovery and provide vital nutrients and extra calories required for a new mother. As they are rich in essential fats and calories it helps a new mother to regain her strength after delivering a child.
As a kid, I never enjoyed these ladoos, but I eat them after my elder one’s birth, and I loved started loving these beauties. My son loves them and I do make it every winter for him. I even make this Sugarless Ragi Ladoos a favourite in my family.
Some Old memories
Winters are here and we had a good Christmas break. Kid’s at home definitely calls for snacks and food. So I finally thought of making my mom’s Aate aur Gond ke ladoo. I told my son, I am making Nani’s ladoo and he was overwhelmed. My 2-year-old couldn’t understand much, except she said mumma is making snowballs 😀 :D. Anyways coming back to Ladoo’s.
Recipe Process of Atte aur Gond ke Ladoo
The recipe is simple and needs a few ingredients that are available at home. The key to making these ladoos is the roasting of the whole wheat flour. The flour needs to be cooked thoroughly along with ghee. This needs time and patience but the end result is worth it. You keep on cooking the flour until it releases a nice aroma or you find it changing color or you see the ghee starts leaving the edges. On a slow stove, it will take around 20-30 minutes for around 2 Cups of flour. You can always multitask this along with your other kitchen stuff.
Either shallow fry the gond earlier or later it’s up to you. I do it earlier as I like to use the same ghee to then roast the flour. After the flour and gond is done, you just switch it off and let the mixture cool.
The sugar is added when the mixture is cooled completely. If you add sugar to a hot mixture it will melt and you would not be able to bind the ladoos. Cardamom powder is added for flavour and almonds for extra nutrition and crunch. All in all, 1 ladoo a day is good for you especially during the winter months.
Few more Winter Special Recipes
Recipe of Atte aur Gond ke Ladoo | Edible Gum Whole Wheat Truffles
Atte aur Gond ke Ladoo | Edible Gum Whole Wheat Truffles
- 250 gms Whole Wheat Flour
- 250 gms Powdered Sugar
- 25 gms Gond (Edible Gum)
- 50 gms Chopped Badam (Almonds)
- 200 gms Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- In a heavy bottom pan or a wok add the ghee.200 gms Ghee
- On slow to medium heat melt it. Once it becomes hot Fry the gond.25 gms Gond
- There are 2 methods here, either you can fry the gond first before crushing and crush them later.
- Or you crush them and fry them. But when you crush them fry them separately and in the end, so that your ghee does not go bad.
- Remove the gond and keep aside.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and on slow heat roast it along with the ghee. This will take around 30 minutes to get it properly roasted and cooked. So do not rush.250 gms Whole Wheat Flour
- Once done switch off and let it cool completely.
- Roasted flour will leave the edges of the kadai and change colour.
- Now add in the gond, powdered sugar and chopped almonds.250 gms Powdered Sugar, 50 gms Chopped Badam
- Combine everything so that it becomes a uniform mixture.
- Take a dollop size (like 2 tablespoons) of mixture in hand and form balls by pressing it in between your hands.
- Once it forms the shape of ball, gently roll them within your palm to give a nice smooth finish.
- You can garnish it with some almonds if required
- Slow roasting is must or else you will burn the mixture.
- Do not rush, or you will be left with uncooked wheat flour.
- Sugar should be in powdered form to get it properly incorporated into the mixture.
- Sugar should be added when the mixture cools down or else it will melt.
Linking this with
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Friday 11th of December 2020
My mom-in-law made these laddoos for me after my post partum. I have never tried my own, laddoos looks incredible yumm. They are very healthy, nutritious and are perfect for all generation during winters time.
Thursday 10th of December 2020
Gond ke ladoo are our all time favourite and I make them every year during winter months without fail. They are very nutritious not only for nursing mom's but also for all age groups.
Wednesday 9th of December 2020
what a lovely golden hue these laddoos have .. I keep buying gond and then dont use it at all.. this is a must try esp for the winters..
Monday 7th of December 2020
Healthy and tasty ladoos for the winter season. This is a good way to feed some healthy food for our children too.
Tuesday 1st of December 2020
Gond is such an integral part of wellness for nursing mums. I remember my mum telling me the health benefits of it. During winter months, Gond is a part of our diet. What a wonderful way to enjoy enjoy in the form of easy ladoo. They look perfect.
Renu Agrawal Dongre
Wednesday 2nd of December 2020