Processed Sugar-Free Ragi Ladoos or Finger Millet Energy Bites is a quick and easy recipe loaded with Calcium, Iron and all the essential nutrients. These energy bites are completely free from processed sugar and are Gluten-Free. The sweetness in the recipe comes from dates and dried fruits such as Apricots and Figs.
Ragi the main Ingredient in this Recipe
Ragi is also known as finger millet is a gluten-free whole grain. It is rich in Proteins, Fibers, calcium. It helps relieve constipation and cholesterol. Believed to be good for Diabetics. (Source Google). It is great weight-loss food and I have already detailed much about what is Ragi and its origin in this post of mine, Egg-Less, Butter-Less, Chocolate Ragi Brownie.
Dates the Natural Sweetener
Dates are an excellent natural sweetener and a very healthy fruit to include in your diet. They are high in several nutrients, fibre and antioxidants all of which provide a range of health benefits. They can be incorporated in a number of different ways in your diet, like in cakes, Energy bites, Flatbreads, milkshakes etc. Pasting below are the links of different dates recipes on my blog. They are high in calories than fresh fruit and hence it is important to eat them in moderation.
Dried Fruits, Nuts & Ghee – Source of essential Nutrients and healthy fats
Apricots are a delicious fruit packed with vitamins, fibre, and antioxidants. They are low in calories. Fresh or dried apricots are easy to add to your salads, yoghurts or main meals. Figs are a good source of calcium and are one of the richest sources of a variety of vitamins and minerals. They can be added as part of a salad or maybe in some chutney etc. Prunes are a great source of iron and come with a large number of health benefits and can improve digestion while offering needed nutrients. Lastly, Hazelnuts is a type of nut which has a sweet flavour and can be eaten raw, roasted or ground into a paste. They are rich in nutrients and have a high content of protein, fats, vitamins and minerals.
This week’s FoodieMondayBloghop #199 theme was Ragi (Ragi Tales). The theme was announced by Poonam from Annapurna. Poonam has a wonderful collection of healthy recipes on her blog and she specializes in traditional and festive foods. She has some lip-smacking recipes on her blog. Do check her blog out.
Why Processed Sugar-Free Ragi Ladoos (Finger Millet Energy Bites)
All nuts and dried fruits have multiple health benefits including benefits to your skin, hair, gut etc. Unfortunately, we overlook them and though they can be consumed raw, we do not like to eat them. Especially with the kid’s or even for adults. To be honest, I had a bag of figs, apricots and prunes lying around. I thought I will eat it as is, but kept forgetting it. I had to finish them before they go bad. So I decided to mix everything and make this delicious and healthy Sugarless Ragi Ladoos or Sugarless Ragi Energy Bites.
Just the earlier day I had prepared a pancake with Ragi and a few more healthy ingredients. Unfortunately, I have not taken good pics of the same and hence thought of making something else. I wanted something for my evening hunger pangs, something nutritious for my kid, as well as the sugar cravings of my family. So I thought of making this Nutritious, Calcium and Iron rich Sugarless Ragi Ladoos or Sugarless Ragi Energy Bites.
Processed Sugar-Free Ragi Ladoos Recipe
The recipe is quite simple and I added whatever I felt like. I did not follow any recipe but followed my heart and made this as I wished. I have roasted the Ragi with a bit of ghee but it is completely optional. You can dry roast it too, But ghee is again a good source of healthy fats and I do not like skipping it. Rest I simply added all the ingredients into the food processor and churned it. That’s it you have some delicious and healthy ladoos ready in minutes.
This is not overly sweet type loads, but enough to satisfy your sweet cravings. One can add raisins or any other dried fruits or nuts too in this easy recipe.
Few More similar recipes on my blog
- Dates and Nuts Energy Bites
- Beetroot and Dates Energy Bites
- Omani Maldouf – A Flatbread made with Dates
- Ragi Banana and Dates Smoothie
- Egg-less, Sugar-less, Butter-Less Dates & Walnut Cake
- Khajoor (Dates) Dry Fruit Barfi (Roll) and many more….
Pin it for later –
Processed Sugar-Free Ragi Ladoos (Finger Millet Energy Bites)
- 2 Tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- ¾ Cup Ragi Flour
- ¾ Cup Hazelnuts
- 1 Cup mix of Prunes, Dried Figs, Dried Apricots
- ¾ Cup Dates (Roughly Chopped- I have used the soft variety)
- In a heavy bottom pan add the ghee2 Tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- Add the Ragi flour, and on slow dry roast the ragi flour, until it changes colour and becomes fragrant. (Around 10-15 minutes)¾ Cup Ragi Flour
- Let this cool completely.¾ Cup Hazelnuts
- In a food processor or your blender jar, add in the Hazelnuts.
- Processes it as finely as you desire.
- Add in the dates ,mix of Prunes, Dried Figs, Dried Apricots.¾ Cup Dates, 1 Cup mix of Prunes, Dried Figs, Dried Apricots
- Process it until it forms a crumbly texture and starts combining.
- Now add the Ragi flour and combine everything.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and form ladoos.
- Store it in airtight container and enjoy.
- 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 tablespoon=15 ml, 1 Cup=235 ml
- You can use nuts and dried fruits of your choice.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @Renunad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.