Sharing is caring!
If you have been reading my blog since some time, you might be thinking I have gone crazy with all the Beet Root recipes, I have though not posted some :-), should come soon. This time I am writing this recipe for our group Recipe swap challenge group conceptualized by Jolly Makkar. where we are paired with each other and then we need to select one of the recipe from the other person’s blog. This is my first swap for the group and I was delighted to the be paired with Poonam Bachav who blogs at Annapurna, and has a wonderful collection of recipes. Her recipes are from different cuisines but I think she specializes on traditional Maharashtrian food. Do check out her blog for many more such recipes.
I had shortlisted a few recipes from her blog and really it was difficult for me to just choose one. I still have some more bookmarked which I will make as and when time permits or when I want to make them. So for this challenge, I selected this healthy Eggless Butterless Beetroot Oats cookies. What I loved in this recipe is it is without butter, no processed sugar, is eggless and does not contains All purpose flour. Sugar is replaced by Jaggery which is healthy has good amount of minerals, aids in digestion and cleanse of your body. I always finds ways where I can replace sugar with this Jaggery. example I no longer make Sonth (Imli Chutney) with sugar, it is replaced by Jaggery. Find the recipe here. Secondly my love for the colour of BeetRoot and the health benefits it imparts. After my Healthy BeetRoot & Dates Energy Bites, when my son saw this cookies, he was like mumma you made something again with BeetRoot. So he was already delighted to see another interesting cookie with it. Not mentioning the benefits of BeetRoot or Oats, they can be found on net or if you want to check my recipes about BeetRoot & Oats recipes here…
BeetRoot & Dates Energy Bites
No-Bake Chocolate Ball (Chokladball)
Oats & Green Dal Toast
Oats and Dalia (Broken Wheat/Cracked Wheat) Idli
Oats and Green Dal Chila (PanCake)
Oats Ice Cream using honey (no sugar)
Oats Vegetable Chila (Pan Cake)
This are not typical cookies as it does not contain all purpose flour or whole wheat flour and hence will not be as crunchy as normal cookies, but they are tasty, have a cake like texture and soft. You will definitely want to eat more after you have one. So enjoy it guilt free.
So here goes the recipe:
- 1 cup Oats (I used simple porridge oats)
- 1/4 cup Jaggery (I grated it)
- 1 medium Beetroot
- 3 tablespoon Chocolate chips (This went a bit more, Next time I will add 2 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder (Dal chini)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon oil (I used Vegetable, any flavourless oil should work)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Dry roast the Oats in a pan. Let it cool. Once cooled grind it into powder using your grinder.
- Wash, Peel and cut the beet into roughly size pieces. Cook beet in pressure cooker or in a boiler on in a microwave. Once cooled puree it into a blender.
- Grate the Jaggery and add it to the BeetRoot Puree.
- Give it a nice mix. Jaggery should be melted and the mixture should resemble one big BeetRoot lump.
- Now add the Oil and vanilla essence to it.
- In another bowl Sift the cocoa powder. (It is always better to sift as cocoa powder has a tendency to form lumps.)
- Add the Cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt to it.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. I simply used my hand to this. you can use a spatula.
- Once done cover it with cling film and refrigerate it for atleast 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the chocolate chips and give it a quick mix.
- Divide it into equal portion and roll it into ball shape.
- Flatten it slightly. I flattened it a bit less as there were more chocolate chips, one can flatten it more.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 Deg Celsius for 25-30 minutes.
- The cookies are done when they are firm on the edges but a still soft.
- Remove it and let it cool completely.
- Enjoy it as is or with a cup of milk or coffee
Pin it for Later
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.
Sharing is caring!