Looking for a chocolaty treat? Then try this super moist and light Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Bread. Loaded with the goodness of banana and rich in chocolate.
This chocolate banana bread is a super easy one-bowl recipe. No fancy gadgets are needed, just whip in a bowl, mix the wet and dry and you are done.
It is one of the best recipes when you have those extra bananas lying around and nobody wants to eat them. A good use of over-ripe bananas. The processed sugar in the cake is cut down due to this and the cake is a bit healthier.
Fruits & Vegetables in Cakes & Breads
I love sneaking in vegetables and fruits in my Cakes and Breads. The addition of veggies and fruits makes the cake moist, light, and even healthy.
Banana is a wonderful sugar substitute and it imparts a nice rich flavour to cakes. I have baked many cakes, muffins, and breads with bananas.
This Whole Wheat Banana Bread | Cake is a very healthy breakfast bread, or this Breakfast Whole Wheat Chocolate Avocado Banana Muffins which uses honey as a sweetener. It is loaded with the goodness of Avocado and Bananas. Indeed a very healthy muffin.
If you are looking for a completely healthy, gluten-free, processed sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan recipe for a banana cake, then try this Gluten-Free & Vegan Ragi Banana Cake.
I baked this Double Chocolate whole Wheat Banana Bread last Christmas for myself and for gifting to a family friend. I am a big fan of chocolate. Anything with chocolate I am in it. And I love the dark chocolate more than any other type of chocolate. So While I baked multiple cakes for Christmas, I made it a point that this time I am going to bake a cake which I would love to just dig in.
This Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Bread is bursting with chocolate flavors. People who do not like chocolate might not love this. My DH’s feedback was bread was nice and moist, but too much chocolate. I said yes, that is what I wanted :-). Just wanted to enjoy a delicious chocolaty treat for Christmas. Yum….
I have made three types of cakes for Christmas. For my family and for gifting small portions to our friends. One Classic Christmas Cake with Brandy, Another one was My Eggless, Butterless, Chocolate Ragi Brownie and the last one was this Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Bread. My DH was like Do not take this cake, but I insisted that they would like it. Needless to say, half of the cake was gone before lunch :-).
Ingredients and Substitutions Used in Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Flour – I am using whole wheat flour. One can use plain flour/All-purpose flour in this recipe.
Cocoa powder – is for the chocolate flavour.
Egg – I have yet not substituted this with a non-vegan egg or chia egg. But I believe chia egg should work as well.
Bananas– Use ripe bananas. They add sweetness and taste as well as give a nice texture to the bread.
Butter and oil – are used as fat. I used to make this with butter and oil initially. Recently I replaced it with all oil and it worked perfectly.
Dark Brown Sugar – I like to use brown sugar in my cakes. One can replace it with granulated white sugar too.
Dark Chocolate chips are used for that added chocolate or you can call it double chocolate. I use dark ones, one can go for milk or white too.
Baking Soda, Salt, and Vanilla extract are used as leavening agents and flavor.
Few more ideas to sneak in vegetables or fruits in Cakes and Bread:
and many more….
Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 3 large bananas (1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola or melted coconut oil – Can be replaced with 1/4 cup butter or full 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips divided
- Preheat your oven to to 180 Deg C or 350 Deg F.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil or any non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.1/2 cup Cocoa Powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- In another large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork.3 large bananas
- Add the melted butter/oil and stir until combined, either with hand or a hand blender1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola or melted coconut oil
- Add in in the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.1 large egg, 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Now add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.1 cup dark chocolate chips divided
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes clean.
- When you insert the toothpick you might have some melted chocolate chips, that is okay.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on a wiring rack along with the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- After you are able to touch the pan, run a knife along the edges.
- Gently turn around and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut it into slices and enjoy them warm.
- This stays fresh on the counter for 4-5 days in moderate temperatures. You can store in refrigerator or freeze individual slices.
- If your oven is very hot, reduce the temperature by 5-10 Deg.
- Oven time varies for baking, do keep an eye after 45-50 minutes.
- Read above for substitutions
This post first appeared on my blog on 20 March 2019. Today, 27 August 2023, I have updated the contents and tweaked the recipe a bit. Added new pictures.
Sharing this with
Earlier I shared this recipe for the theme “Follow the Italian Meal Structure”. My earlier recipe on this theme was Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes and Coconut Flour Orange poppy seeds muffins (Gluten Free).
- Banana Chip Cookies with Melted Caramel from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Banana Mousse from Culinary Cam
- Banana Pecan Caramel Sauce from Food Lust People Love
- Banana Zucchini Cake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Coated Banana from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Pretzel Bites from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Sourdough Banana Appe from Sneha’s Recipe
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.