Avocado chocolate mousse is a rich and creamy dessert. It is processed sugar-free and made using just 5 ingredients. The fifth ingredient is optional.
Wondering about a dessert with avocado or how will it taste? I would say you will love it. if you know it has avocado and if you do not like it you might not but if you do not you will enjoy it.
My first attempt at making this was a hit and a miss. I added a bit less honey and my avocado wasn’t ripe enough. So it added a slight bitterness and my family didn’t like it.
Next time I used proper ripe avocados and added the right amount of honey. The result was a delicious dessert. Everyone liked it and we enjoyed it guilt-free.
Yes, at times it’s difficult to tell if an avocado is ripe or not. Even the ones that appear ripe may not be ripe. I have a post on how to tell if an avocado is ripe or not and how to cut an avocado if you like to check.
So coming to today’s recipe. It is a no-cook and a no-bake dessert. All we do is add all the ingredients to a food processor and process it. Refrigerate it for a few hours before serving and enjoy.
Ingredients used in Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Avocado contains a good amount of nutrients and is so versatile that it can be used from savory to desserts.
Unsweetened dutch processed Cocoa Powder is used in this recipe.
Honey is used as a sweetener. One can replace it with maple syrup or finely processed sugar.
Milk is used to add moisture and get the perfect texture. One can replace it with heavy cream to get a richer and creamier consistency. But avocado really adds that and milk is sufficient.
Salt is used to balance out the flavors.
Almonds are used just for crunch. One can skip it completely or replace it with any nut of choice.
Few tips on getting this Avocado Chocolate Mousse right
- Use ripe avocados.
- Do add the sweetener, or else it might taste bitter.
- Refrigerate before serving for the best taste.
- Almonds or nuts are added for crunch, one can skip it completely but it adds a nice crunch.
I have used cow milk and honey in this. Vegans can use soy milk or coconut milk. Honey can be replaced with maple syrup.
Recipes with Avocado
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 2 medium-size Avocado pitted
- 1/4 cup milk -can be replaced by heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Raw Cocoa powder -reduce to 1/8 cup if you do not like much cocoa flavor
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup Honey -can be replaced by Maple syrup or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Almonds -optional – I added for the crunch, one can replace it with any other nut or skip it completely
- Peel and remove the avocado flesh.2 medium-size Avocado pitted
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor.1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup Raw Cocoa powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 Cup Honey, 1/4 cup Almonds
- Process it until it attains a smooth texture.
- A few small pieces of nuts or almonds are okay. It would add a nice crunch to the mousse.
- Chill it for 4-5 hours before serving.
- Garnish with chopped chocolate or nuts if required.
- Standard US Size cups and spoons used
- Use Ripe avocados
- Milk can be replaced by cream
- Honey can be replaced by maple syrup
This recipe first appeared on Cook with Renu on 18th April 2018. Today 25th June 2022, I am updating the contents, and pics and adding the recipe card.
Linking this with
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Wednesday 20th of July 2022
The creamy avocado chocolate mousse is delightfully light and extremely tasty. Love the recipe.
Wednesday 13th of July 2022
Wow, the avocado mousse was a perfect treat. I loved the intensity of the chocolate in this recipe.
Sunday 20th of May 2018
Avacado and Chocolate is a deadly combination. Fantastic share Renu.
Tuesday 8th of May 2018
This looks so creamy & yummy. Really noone can guess that avocado is used here, lovely share :)
Tuesday 8th of May 2018
Never made this combination, looks tasty. It's a quick fix dessert.