Spicy Avocado Mango Bean Salad is a refreshingly sweet, spicy, creamy vegan salad. It has a slight spicy kick from green chili, sweetness from the mango, creaminess from the avocado, and protein-rich kidney beans.
This Mango Kidney bean salad is an easy light lunch or a side to your mains. It becomes a balanced meal and is especially good for vegetarians as it includes kidney beans. Kidney beans are fiber-rich and a good source of iron. This helps you keep full for longer and is considered good for weight loss and people having sugar problems.
This easy Mexican bean salad goes well with Nachos, Tacos, crackers, bread, pita bread, etc. I love to combine them as wraps in lettuce and is one of the best Picnic ideas or lunch for me.
Ingredients used in Spicy Avocado Mango Bean Salad
Mango – I have used the variety available in local shops here. One can use any sweet variety of mango. Use a semi-ripe variety of mango here which would be sweet. To ripe mango will lead to a squishy salad. Also, it helps keep the fruits and veggies firm in a salad. As they release water after adding seasonings.
Avocado – Use ripe or semi-ripe avocado. Check here, on how to check if the avocado is ripe and cut an avocado. Avocado adds a creamier texture and adds the necessary healthy fats to the salad.
As we have used avocado here, cut the avocado in the last or if you are cutting it ahead of time, squeeze some lime juice on it to prevent turning it black. Or it is best if you can add the avocado just before serving if you plan to make it ahead of time.
Vegetables – I have used a combination of green pepper, red pepper, cucumber, onion, and lettuce in this salad. One can use the same or replace it as required. Corn and carrots will also go well in this salad.
I have used my garden-fresh organic lettuce here, which can be replaced by spinach or even beet green leaves.
Red Kidney Beans – Beans here provide the necessary protein content to the salad and make it a complete meal. One can replace red kidney beans with black beans, Cannellini, chickpea (Garbanzo Beans), lima beans, pinto beans, etc.
I have soaked and boiled kidney beans as I always do. It is preservative-free and budget-friendly. One can however use tinned kidney beans too. If you are using tin kidney beans, be sure to rinse them in clear water first.
Seasoning – for seasoning I have used olive oil, lime, salt, smoked red paprika powder, green chili, and Coriander. If you find green chili too spicy it can be replaced by Jalapeno without seeds. The red paprika powder can be replaced by black pepper powder.
Coriander can be replaced by chopped parsley. A generous amount of lemon juice is required in this recipe. I have added around 4 tablespoons. It adds a lot of taste to the salad. So do not be shy about using it.
Make it Non-Veg
For non-vegetarians, one can add some shredded chicken or bacon. One can add some Kani to make it Spicy Mango Kani Salad with Avocado. I believe shrimp or prawns will also go well in this.
This Spicy Avocado Mango Bean Salad is completely vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. To suit other different diet needs like keto, low-carb, etc, one might need to remove and replace one or two ingredients.
Can we refrigerate this salad?
This Mango bean salad is best consumed after being chilled for a couple of hours. So this is one of the best recipes when you have a party or a potluck or a picnic. However, if you are like me and cannot control you can even have it immediately.
Can we freeze this salad?
I do not recommend freezing salads. After freezing when the fruits and veggies release the water they will become soggy and lose their texture. It is best to consume salads and veggies fresh especially when you are making salads.
Ways to enjoy this Spicy Avocado Mango Bean Salad
- Best on its own
- In lettuce wraps
- With some nachos, chips, and pita bread.
- Filling as a sandwich
- As a side to your main dishes
Pin it for later –
Spicy Avocado Mango Bean Salad
- 1 Cup Mango Chopped
- ½ Cup Red Kidney beans – Boiled or from the tin
- ¼ Cup Red pepper chopped
- ¼ Cup Green pepper chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 medium-size avocado pitted and chopped
- 3-4 medium-size lettuce chopped
- ¼ cup coriander chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-3 green chilies finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Few more lettuce leaves for serving
- If you are using dry kidney beans, rinse and soak them.½ Cup Red Kidney beans
- Cook them in a pressure cooker or an instant pot and then use.
- If using beans from the tin, rinse and use it.
- In a bowl add all the above ingredients and give it a nice mix.1 Cup Mango Chopped, ½ Cup Red Kidney beans, ¼ Cup Red pepper chopped, ¼ Cup Green pepper chopped, ¼ cup onion chopped, 1 medium-size avocado pitted and chopped, 3-4 medium-size lettuce chopped, ¼ cup coriander chopped, ¼ cup cucumber chopped, 1 teaspoon Red smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 2-3 green chilies finely chopped, 4 tablespoon lime juice, Salt to taste
- Serve as is or in lettuce wraps or with chips, crackers or breads.
- Standard US Size cups used
- Different combinations of veggies and fruits can be used. Read above for suggestions.
- Kidney beans can be replaced by other beans. Read above for suggestions.
Linking this with
- Bacon Broccoli Mac from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Cucumber Mozzarella Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Spicy Avocado Mango Bean Salad from Cook with Renu
- Mango Pico De Gallo from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Cowboy Beans from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Murukulu Janthikalu from Sneha’s Recipe
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Tuesday 24th of May 2022
The spicy avocado mango bean salad is screaming summer and picnic. Perfect on its own or with tortilla chips and filling too. Now that spring is here, we're actually eating out at the park more often. So this salad will be perfect for one of those days.
Monday 23rd of May 2022
I could finish this bowl as my healthy meal.. soo.oo good!
Sunday 22nd of May 2022
Great way to eat a rainbow Renu. So pretty.