How to cook Dried Chickpeas? This Instant Pot Chickpeas is the perfect answer, to get perfectly cooked chickpeas every time in an Instant pot or in a Stove Top Pressure Cooker.
These chickpeas in an instant pot cooked from dried chickpeas are budget friendly and easy on the pocket. No more buying canned chickpeas, which might have additional preservatives.
These stovetop pressure cooker chickpeas or Instant pot chickpeas prepared from scratch are free from any preservatives. It does not need any leavening agent like baking powder or soda to cook. All that is required to cook is some salt and water.
This Instant pot chickpeas can be used for sides, salads, snacks, hummus, main courses, etc. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber, especially for vegetarians. Chickpeas are vegan, gluten-free, and believe to help in weight loss.
Why no canned Chickpeas?
I have never bought canned chickpeas. In fact, never knew until I traveled outside India or my home. A few times, I thought of buying the canned chickpeas, but never did I. every time the thought came to my mind, I was like why? The first reason, is I am not sure what all the tin may have to keep those chickpeas fresh for days.
Second, they are way costly. If you buy dry chickpeas and use them you would get much better value. 1 Cup of dry chickpeas when soaked swell up to approximately 3 cups.
Third, when it is so easy to make it at home. All that is required is a bit of planning. Soaking, and while cooking just some salt and water.
Soaked or Unsoaked Chickpeas?
Planning because I do soak my chickpeas and cook. I have not cooked unsoaked chickpeas. Soaking chickpeas or legumes helps in digestion and prevents bloating. Though there are a good number of recipes that states that soaking and unsoaked do not make difference. It is up to you to choose. I prefer soaking and always use the same method.
I generally soak the chickpeas overnight or at least for 6-8 hours. If at times I am in a hurry, I soak them in hot boiling water for 2-3 hours depending on the time.
Soaking chickpeas also helps in reducing cooking time. If you are using soaked chickpeas they get cooked faster as compared to the unsoaked method. Unsoaked chickpeas would take much longer to cook.
The texture of the Instant pot Chickpeas from Dried Beans
The chickpeas get perfectly cooked. They are soft and buttery, not too mushy but have a bite. Please see the texture below. They are cooked properly when you take chickpeas and when pressed between your fingers, they should squeeze immediately.
Can Soaked Chickpeas be stored?
At times to reduce the planning and get a little Instant Chickpeas, I soak the chickpeas and freeze them. This helps me to use them instantly in a pressure cooker or Instant pot.
How to Store cooked or leftover Chickpeas?
Cooked or leftover chickpeas too can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. In the freezer, they can be stored for at least 3 months. To store the cooked chickpeas, let them cool completely before storing them in a zip lock or an air-tight container.
How can you use chickpeas?
You can make a delicious oil-free Chickpea Salad, or use it to make some dips like Beetroot Hummus or this Golden Turmeric Hummus. One can make some snacks like this Oil-Free Herb Roasted Chickpeas or for your sides or your main meals like in this Vegan Indian Chole or in this Brown Rice Chickpea Pulao or Veggie Chickpea Burger.
Pit it for later
Instant Pot Chickpeas | How to cook Dried Chickpeas?
- Pressure Cooker – Either one of them
- 1 Cup Chickpeas
- 5-6 cups of water
- 1 Cup Soaked Chickpeas
- 2 Cups water
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- In a large bowl add the chickpeas.1 Cup Chickpeas
- Rinse well.
- Soak in 5-6 cups or enough water overnight or at least for 6 hours.5-6 cups of water
- If you are short of time, soak it in boiling water for at least 2 hours.
- Discard the soaked chickpeas water.
- Rinse again.
Cooking Chickpeas in Instant Pot
- Add chickpeas to the inner vessel.1 Cup Soaked Chickpeas
- For every 1 cup of soaked chickpeas add 2 cups of water.2 Cups water, 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Add a teaspoon of salt.
- Cover the Instant pot lid and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- If you are soaking just for 2 hours, increase the pressure and cook time for 25 minutes.
Cooking Chickpeas in Stove Top Pressure Cooker
- Add chickpeas to the pressure cooker vessel.
- For every 1 cup of soaked chickpeas add 2 cups of water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook on the stop top for 3-4 whistles or depending on your pressure cooker settings.
- If you are soaking just for 2 hours, add at least 2-3 more whistles.
- Standard US Size Cups and spoons Used
- Any Cup size can be used. Just keep in mind it will swell up to 3 times.
- Do not discard the cooked chickpeas water. The water can be used in stocks or curries.
Sharing this with
Sunday Funday where the theme this week is Chickpeas
- Chana Chaat – Chickpea Chaat from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Coconut Chickpea New Potato Curry from Food Lust People Love
- Hummus Flatbread Caprese from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Instant Pot Chickpeas – How to Cook Dried Chickpeas from Cook with Renu
- Pindi Chole from Sneha’s Recipe
- Spicy Rosemary Roasted Carrot Hummus from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Monday 24th of October 2022
Thanks for this post, Renu. I have an instant pot but hardly use it for legumes and beans. This makes so much sense and saves time.
Thursday 8th of September 2022
Nice post with all the helpful tips on how to boil, store and cook chickpeas in different ways.
Monday 29th of August 2022
The instant pot is a Godsend for beans of any kind. I don't think I have ever seen dried garbanzos. I'm going to have to pay attention.
Monday 29th of August 2022
Renu you are so right, nothing better than home cooked chickpeas. We don't get canned ones in India and Kenya. Cooking them in the Instant Pot is a breeze. I make a big batch and freeze them for quick curries.
Sunday 28th of August 2022
That's a good way to cook chickpeas, quite hassle free and yes always cooking at home is preservative free.