You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Moong Dal Chilla is a nutritious and healthy breakfast or snack from the North of India. They are flourless savory crepes, made using yellow or green or a mix of both the split moong dal. A few spices are added to the batter and you have healthy, delicious, and crispy crepes.
Healthy Moong Dal Chilla
They are high protein and made without any rice so less on carbs. A perfect vegan and gluten-free breakfast or meal for those on diet or watching their weights. As moong dal is high in protein and fiber it is good for digestion. It also helps those who watch their sugar levels and hence a healthy breakfast for diabetics.
LunchBox or Finger Food
These moong dal chillas can be made as a wrap with some fillings like in this Oats and Green Dal Chilla and can be packed for your kids lunchbox. You can make them bite-size and serve it as finger food for your super active toddler.
Stuffing & Toppings in Chillas
Though I say that they are made for breakfast or snacks, I can eat them any time of the day. For me, they are also a perfect filling meal. At times I love to add different veggies or paneer in the stuffing. Like I stuff cabbage in this Mung Sprouts & Methi Chila. I have already detailed out more recipes of chilla in my earlier post on Chilla Platter.
As said, different veggies can be added in these moong dal chillas’ One can even top it up with tomatoes, peas, corn, etc. Cheese and paneer go well with this chillas. You can experiment with different shapes and make it exciting for kids.
The best thing about this chillas is that they do not need any fermentation. Once your batter is made you can start making the cheelas. Quick to make and perfect for your morning or evening snacks.
Can we store the Batter?
It is best to make the chilla batter fresh. However, if you have leftover or you need to make it in bulk, you can make it for 1-2 days and store it in the fridge. When making the chillas from the batter kept in the fridge, remove it at least 20-30 minutes before.
So here goes the recipe of Moong Dal Chilla
Moong Dal Chilla | Cheela (Savory Yellow & Green Moong Dal Crepes)
- Mixer Grinder
- ½ Cup Split Moong Dal (Dry – once soaked it will be around 1 Cup.
- ¼ inch piece of Ginger
- 2-3 green chilies (as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of Asafoetida
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Clean and Rinse the Moong Dal.
- Soak it for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, give a quick rinse and drain all the water.
- In a blender, add the dal, ginger, green chilies, cumin seeds, asafoetida, and salt.
- Grind it to a smooth batter using just enough water.
- The batter should not be thin or too thick, but semi-thick.
- Once hot, drizzle or brush some oil using a clean tissue or a pastry brush.
- Pour around a ladle full or around 3 tablespoons of batter on a pan.
- Spread it like dosa by making circles outwards with the help of the back of the ladle.
- Let this cook on medium and drizzle some oil along the edges.
- Once it starts getting cooked from the edges, it will start leaving the sides.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Similarly, prepare the rest of the chillas.
- Serve this for breakfast with Chutney of your choice.
- 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tbsp= 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- One can use Yellow Moong Dal or Green Moong Dal or a mix of Both.
- Cook Time is approximate for 8-10 chillas
- Asafoetida (Hing) powder available in shops contains wheat and is not gluten free. Gluten intolerant people can either skip completely or opt for Gluten Free Asafoetida (Hing)
Pin it for Later:
Linking this with:
Let’s be Friends
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.
Did you get my 7 days Vegan & Gluten Free Breakfast/Meal Plan? if not Enter your details below.