Need something easy and quick as a side for your barbeque parties or something light for your dinners? Try this colorful and refreshing, Vegan Sweet Potato and Fennel Fronds Salad.
An easy appetizer, side, or a light meal, this sweet potato and fennel fronds salad is easy to make and can be assembled in minutes if you have sweet potato ready. It can be made beforehand and is one of the best sides for parties.
The salad is dairy-free and egg-free and this potato salad does not contain any mayonnaise. It is still rich and creamy and creamy and one of the best salads served for your potluck parties.
What are Fennel Fronds?
In this recipe, I am using fennel fronds instead of fennel bulbs. A lot of the time fennel fronds are not used, but it is entirely edible and can be used similarly to a herb.
Fennel fronds are the green leafy things to the stalks that grow out of a fennel bulb. They have a refreshing aniseed flavor. Both the leaves and stalk can be used in cooking.
Ingredients and substitutions in Sweet Potato and Fennel Fronds Salad
The first main ingredient in this recipe is sweet potato. I have baked the sweet potato in an air fryer and used it. One can boil and use too, but I like it when it is baked. Sweet potato can be replaced with any white potato too.
The other veggies used in this recipe are celery, carrots, and peas. Carrots, peas, and celery add a nice crunch to the dish. Celery mainly consists of water which gives it a nice refreshing taste.
There is no fixed set of veggies, one has to use in this recipe. One can replace it with other veggies. Even onion can be added.
Vegan yogurt instead of mayo
I have used vegan soy yogurt in this recipe instead of mayo. We do not eat mayo much and I wanted the salad to be easy to make with easily available ingredients. Yogurt is always there in my kitchen and it gives the dish the necessary creamy consistency.
One can replace soy yogurt with any other plant-based yogurt or any dairy-based yogurt.
Olive oil is added as the fat in the dish. A little fat is needed at times in different salads. One can replace the oil with any vegetable oil.
Herbs and flavorings
I have used fresh fennel fronds, garlic, and mustard powder for flavorings. If you do not have access to fennel, you can even add crushed fennel seeds or fresh dill.
Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice are added to balance the taste of the overall dish. Salt and freshly ground black pepper powder are added for taste.
Vegan Sweet Potato and Fennel Fronds Salad
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato 5-6 inches
- ¼ Cup carrots chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- ¼ cup Soy Yogurt or Greek yogurt or any thick variety of yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons of fresh minced fennel fronds
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
Baking of Sweet potato
- Bake the sweet potato in an oven or an air fryer.1 medium-sized sweet potato
- For the Air fryer, bake it in a preheated air fryer at 180 Deg C for 20-25 minutes until done.
- For the oven, bake it in a preheated oven at 180 Deg C for 20-25 minutes until done.
- Sweet potato is baked when a toothpick inserted or a skewer or a knife inserted goes inside without any resistance.
- Once the sweet potato is done let it cool completely
Cooking green peas
- Rinse the green peas and microwave them for 6-7 minutes on full power.¼ cup green peas
- Alternatively, cook them in boiling water in an open pot for 6-7 minutes until done.
Dressing for salad
- In a bowl add yogurt.¼ cup Soy Yogurt
- To this add minced fennel fronds.
- Mince or chop the garlic and add.
- Next add apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard powder, lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper powder.1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon mustard powder, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 2-3 tablespoons of fresh minced fennel fronds, Black pepper powder to taste, Salt to taste
- Mix it evenly.
Assembling the Salad
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes.
- In a large bowl add the sweet potato.1 medium-sized sweet potato
- To this add chopped celery, chopped carrots, and boiled green peas.¼ Cup carrots chopped, 2 celery stalks chopped, ¼ cup green peas
- Add the dressing
- Mix everything gently, careful not to break the sweet potatoes.
- Refrigerate the salad for a couple of hours before serving.
- Standard US Size cups and spoons are used. 1 cup = 237 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- Measurements are a rough guide, one can change as required.
- Read above for substitutions.
- The salad can be enjoyed immediately too but for best results, it is advisable to refrigerate it.
Sharing this with
Sunday Funday where the theme for this Sunday is “Side dishes for barbecues/cookouts“. Do check out what other bloggers have cooked for the sides.
- 45 Minute Hamburger Buns from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Avocado Salad with Fresh Herb Dressing from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Apple Salad from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Pressure Cooker Pork Dry from Sneha’s Recipe
- Quinoa Salad with Fennel & Garbanzo Beans from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Spaccatini Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spinach Madeline Stuffed Potatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Sweet and Tangy Cucumber Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato and Fennel Fronds Salad from Cook with Renu
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.