Fresh, and colorful, this Summer Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad is loaded with fresh vegetables, herbs, orzo pasta, and cheese.
I serve this pasta cold, by refrigerating it for a few hours. The spices and the herbs get some time to infuse and add a nice flavor. One can serve it at room temperature too.
Ingredients and substitutions Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad
The first main ingredient is orzo pasta. Orzo is a small pasta shaped in the form of grain. Orzo is typically made from flour, but it can be made using whole grain, durum wheat, or semolina too.
The next main ingredients are vegetables. One can use any type of veggie here. I am using my homegrown, fresh rocket leaves and lettuce. Other veggies I am using are cherry tomatoes and colorful peppers.
For herbs, I am using a combination of parsley, thyme, and basil. One can skip this or add other herbs like coriander, and rosemary too.
I am also adding some pickled nasturtium seeds. This is again made from my homegrown nasturtium and pickled. One can replace it with capers or skip it completely.
Next, I am adding grated feta cheese. One can either skip cheese completely or add some mozzarella too. Green olives, lemon zest, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, black pepper powder, and salt are used to flavor the salad.
Cooking of Orzo Pasta
The only cooking involved in this recipe is the cooking of orzo pasta. The orzo pasta takes around 8-10 minutes to cook, till then one can chop the vegetables and get the whole dish assembled in 10-15 minutes.
Can orzo pasta be cooked ahead of time?
Orzo pasta can be cooked ahead of time too. Cook the pasta, and once it is cooked, rinse it with cold water to stop the cooking process. Then add some oil to it and store it in a zip lock or air-tight container in the fridge. Consume within 2-3 days maximum.
Few more Salad recipes on the blog
Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad
- ¼ Cup – 90 grams – Orzo Pasta
- ¼ cup chopped lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped rocket leaves
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes cut into half or quarters.
- ½ cup of Chopped Mixed Peppers
- 3-4 Chopped green olives
- 2 tablespoons of chopped mixed herbs
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese – Optional
- 1 tablespoon of Nasturtium seeds or Capers – Optional
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar or of your choice – Optional, but adds a nice taste
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- 3 cups Water to cook pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil – Optional
- In a large pan add water.3 cups Water to cook pasta
- Let it come to a boil.
- Once boiled add orzo pasta and let it cook for 8-10 minutes or as per your package instructions.¼ Cup – 90 grams – Orzo Pasta
- It should cook until al dente, that is just cooked and not mushy.
- Once cooked drain and rinse cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside.
Assembling the pasta
- In a bowl add chopped lettuce, rocket leaves, mixed peppers, tomatoes, olives, herbs, and nasturtium seeds.¼ cup chopped lettuce, ¼ cup chopped rocket leaves, 10-12 cherry tomatoes cut into half or quarters., ½ cup of Chopped Mixed Peppers, 3-4 Chopped green olives, 1 tablespoon of Nasturtium seeds or Capers – Optional, 2 tablespoons of chopped mixed herbs
- Add cooked pasta.¼ Cup – 90 grams – Orzo Pasta
- Grate the lemon zest and add. (Only the yellow part)Zest of 1 lemon
- Add feta cheese, lemon juice, Balsamic Vinegar, salt and black pepper powder, and olive oil, and mix.1/4 cup of feta cheese – Optional, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar, Salt to taste, Black pepper powder to taste, 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for 2-4 hours to serve chill.
- Standard US Size cups and spoons are used. 1 cup = 237 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- Measurements are a rough guide, one can change as required.
- Read above for substitutions
Sharing this with
Few more Pasta and Noodles recipes from bloggersSneha’s Recipe: Vegan Italian Pasta Salad With Basil Dressing
Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Caprese Pasta Salad
A Day in the Life on the Farm: Couscous Salad
Palatable Pastime: Pineapple and Butternut Macaroni Salad
Karen’s Kitchen Stories: Chinese Egg Noodle Salad with Pork
Mayuri’s Jikoni: Tropical Pasta Salad
Cook with Renu: Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.