Sharing is caring!
You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Breakfast Spelt and Oats Muffins are delicious and perfect morning breakfast or a filling snack for your kid. These muffins are butterless with a hint of lemon. They are a delicious lunchbox treat or best as a travel snack.
These muffins are lightly sweetened with sugar and have a nutty taste. The topping of sunflower seeds on the top adds a nice crunch to the muffins. With all the healthy ingredients in this like avocado, eggs, oats, spelt flour they are best served for breakfast or brunch.
What is Spelt or Spelt Flour
Spelt is an ancient whole grain. It is also known as Dinkel wheat or hulled wheat and is a species of wheat. It was an important staple food in parts of Europe. (Source Wiki).
Spelt flour has a nuttier texture and is almost similar to wheat flour. It can be used similar to wheat flour. Pasta, bread is very common with this flour too.
Recipes with Spelt Flour
If you are a regular follower of my blog you must be knowing I love experimenting with different flours. I have already made this Sugarless & Vegan Apple and Carrot Loaf another breakfast bread or goes well as a treat.
If you are unable to source Spelt flour one can replace it with wheat flour.
The second main ingredient in this recipe is Oats. Oats need no introduction and are one of the most popular breakfast. However, for those who cannot eat oats in porridge form this muffins are a perfect treat.
Savoury Recipes with Oats
And if you are looking for more savoury breakfast recipes with oats, check this Oats Vegetable Chila (Pancake), or this Savory 10 minutes Vegetable Oats Upma. This Vegan and Oats Vegetable bites loaded with broccoli and cauliflower goes perfect as a finger food for toddlers and Oats Chivda or Spicy Oats trial mix a perfect snacking option.
Avocado – Replacement for Butter
I have used Avocado in these muffins instead of butter. I wanted to replace butter or oil and add some avocado to the diet. Avocado is one of the best replacement for butter and this is my second try with it. I have earlier tried this Whole Wheat Chocolate Avocado Banana Muffins and they were a treat. If you want to use butter, use 1/2 cup melted butter at room temperature.
Nuts and Seeds
I have added a mix of Walnuts and Almonds to add to the crunch and increase the nutrient content of muffins. One can replace it with pecans or even with choco chips if one likes. Sunflower Seeds are again added for the same reason. It as well adds texture to the muffins.
Can this be Vegan?
I wanted to make this completely Vegan. But I ran out of Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds, so added egg instead. But if you want to make these muffins eggless, replace them with Chia or Flax Egg. To make Flax Egg follow the procedure as followed in this Egg-less, Butter-less Chocolate Ragi Cake. To Chia, egg follow the procedure from this Instant Pot Eggless Mug Cake.
I have added dried cherries at the last moment. As it was like yes they would add a nice taste and would add some natural sweetness to the muffins. If you see the video I have added it in just half of my muffins and not all. One can skip it completely if required.
Vanilla essence is used for flavouring and also as it contains eggs so to mask the smell. I wanted to add some citrusy flavour and hence I have used lime zest. It added a nice twist to the muffins and they were moist and citrusy.
The process followed is very simple. Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, and mix the dry in another. Then add the dry to the wet and mix until everything is incorporated. Do not overmix the batter, else you will get dry muffins.
Size & Number of Servings of muffins
I have used cupcake tins here and the size was just perfect for a single serving. If you are using Muffin tins they might be bigger and you will get around 10 muffins instead of 12. Baking time too will vary depending on the size of your mould.
Breakfast Spelt and Oats Muffins
- 1 Cup – 140 grams Spelt Flour
- 1 Cup -95 grams Oats (I used porridge oats)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup – 110 grams Demerara Sugar/ Dark Brown Sugar (One can use any sugar)
- ½ Cup chopped nuts (Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans)
- ¼ Cup Dry Cherries/Raisins (Optional)
- 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Essense
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Ripe Avocado
- Zest of 2 lime or 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C
- Line the muffin/cupcake tin with muffin cases or grease them.
- In a large bowl add in the eggs.
- Beat it until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix until well incorporated.
- Mash the avocado till it is nice and smooth.
- Add the mashed avocado to the eggs and mix everything. If you have slight pieces of avocado left, mash it with the help of a fork.
- Add the milk and give it a quick mix.
- Next add the lemon/lime zest, vanilla essence and give a quick mix.
- In another bowl add the dry ingredients i.e spelt flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 3 tablespoon sunflower seeds and give a quick mix.
- One can add the cherries/raisins too now, or later if you want to divide them in half.
- Now add the dry ingredients slowly in the wet and fold until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter in the cupcake/muffin cases.
- If you are adding cherries/raisins in half batter, add the batter in 6 cases and then add cherries and mix.
- Spoon the remaining batter into the individual cases.
- Top it up with 1 tablespoon of Sunflower seeds.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 tablespoon=15 ml, 1 Cup=235 ml
- Vegans can use Chia egg or flax egg instead of eggs. The process mentioned above in the recipe.
- Vegan milk of choice can be used.
- Avocado can be replaced with butter. Use 1/2 cup melted butter at room temperature.
- If you are unable to source Spelt flour one can replace it with wheat flour.
Linking this with:
Sunday Funday : Breakfast for Supper
- Baked Grits with Sausage Gravy from Food Lust People Love
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s Burgers from Making Miracles
- Breakfast Spelt and Oats Muffins from Cook with Renu
- Egg & Bacon Sandwich (Homemade Egg McMuffin) from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Eggplant Shakshuka from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Famous Breakfast Burritos (copycat Lucky Boy) from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Shrimp and Grits from Palatable Pastime
- Steamed Rawa /Semolina Balls from Sneha’s Recipe
- Zege from Mayuri’s Jikoni
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.
Get our Free Kids Lunch Box Menu Plan (2 Sample Menu + DIY Kit + Recipes)
Let’s be Friends
Sharing is caring!