Oats vegetable chila (Pancake) is my version of vegan savory pancake with loads of vegetables and healthy ingredients like oats and gram flour. I like to sneak in all the different veggies I can in this pancake.
I like to have a variety and want my family to eat everything or include all the different types of grains and flour. Oats is one such grain. However, we cannot eat oats in porridge form or sweet form. Hence I experiment with this in different recipes. You can read more about Oats here.
Did you try this Sugarless Cacao Oats Breakfast Smoothie yet, or this Savory 10 minutes Vegetable Oats Upma? I also love my oats in my morning breakfast as in this, Apple Granola Overnight Oats or in the form of my Granola. And yes if you need to add oats to your kid’s diet try this, Vegan Baked Oats and Vegetable Bites or Beet root and Oats Cookies
Oats Vegetable Chila
I am making this Oats vegetable chila for a long now. I simply grind the oats coarsely in a blender. Earlier I used to mix semolina and now I have replaced this with besan or gram flour. No health reason, in particular, to replace semolina, just trying to replace it with less processed flours. Next, I add different vegetables I have on hand or the ones I want to sneak in like capsicum, spinach, carrots etc. That’s it with a few more spices added you are done with the batter and healthy and delicious breakfast or lunch box is ready within no time.
Also, this goes well as finger food or toddler food for those super active kids who do not wish to sit and eat. Make them in the desired shape or into bite-size pancakes and hand it over to them. You are sorted with a filling meal for your little ones.
I have posted this recipe long back, today I am updating the contents and pics. As said, I have changed the recipe a bit, but you can still use the same old. I am sharing this with our group “Foodies_RedoingOldPost” where we would be updating our old posts with content or pics every 2 weeks.
So for the Eleventh week of #Foodies_RedoingOldPost_11 (1-Nov-2019) , I am updating my Oats Vegetable Chila Recipe.
Pin it for Later –
So here goes the recipe for Oats Vegetable Chila
Oats Vegetable Chila (Savory PanCake)
- 1 Cup Oats
- 2 Tablespoon Besan/Gram Flour Can be replaced with Semolina/Rava
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped vegetables as you like (eg. Capsicum, spinach, Carrot)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1-2 grated garlic (optional)
- ½ inch grated ginger (optional)
- 1 Green chilli finely chopped (optional and to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Mirchi Powder – as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt
- Water for mixing as needed
- Oil for greasing pan
- Add Oats in a blender and grind to a coarse powder
- Mix all the ingredients and make a semi thick batter.
- You should be able to spread it in the pan. It is a bit thick than dosa batter.
- Let the batter rest for 10-15 minutes so that the flours hydrate.
- Heat a pan and drizzle some oil on it.
- Take 1 spoonful ladle and make a chila/pancake/dosa of around 5-6 inches or as preferred.
- Cook it on slow gas for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip when you see that the top is almost dry and it appears to cook. i.e. it starts leaving the edges of the pan.
- Turn and again cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Cook on both the sides until golden brown.
- Serve it with Sauce or Chutney of your choice.
- 1 Cup = 235 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- One can use vegetables of choice.
- Size and thickness of the pancake is as per your preference.
- I use porridge oats or rolled oats.
Linking this with
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.